This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you want to lose weight while satisfying your cravings for lasagna, a healthy eggplant Parmesan is all you need. Similar to the Greek moussaka, eggplant parmesan is a complete meal, but while most recipes fried the eggplants, here I grill them and then bake it.
Frankly, I prefer a Parmigiana with grilled eggplants as fried eggplants absorb a lot of oil and become very greasy.
The filling is made with boiled eggs and cooked ham so the fat is very limited.
Just a bit of mozzarella cheese and parmesan to satisfying all craving, the rest is just healthy vegetables.
You can serve it with a fresh slice of rustic sourdough bread, but since I am on a diet I eat it with some light Wasa.
If you have some left over, never in my house, you can freeze it.
When I was single and working as a Petroleum Engineer, I would prepare a large Healthy Eggplant Parmesan on Sunday and freeze portions to have after work and a good Step session.
I was in good shape then !
For this recipe, I use the round eggplants, as their large slices are perfect to lay on the baking plate.
Also, their flavour is not as bitter like some of the long one, so I don’t need to drain it in salt
You can use the regular ones, but buy them thin as they have fewer seeds.
If you think they might be slightly bitter, salt the slices and put them in a drainer with a weight on top.
Let them drain for few hours and they will release the bitter brown juice.
The Healthy Eggplant Parmesan can be filled with different ingredients.
If you like a Greek moussaka, instead of the ham you can add a ragu Bolognese sauce.
I make it in the pressure cooker and it takes only 30 minutes.
Or if you really want to make it sexy, you can fill it with small fried meatballs like the one I use in this recipe:
Coming up in the next few weeks:
If you are looking for more eggplant recipes, here you will find some more ideas.
Regular, round, small, long, white and tiger, a different way of cooking each shape.
Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
- 3 eggplants If available use the round ones
- 2 can tomatoes sauce about 4 cups
- 1 mozzarella
- 3 slices cooked ham
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 10 leaves basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Grill the eggplants
- Peel and slice the eggplants
- Grill them on an outdoor grill or home griddle
Compose the dish
- Oil the base of a baking dish
- Cover with breadcrumbs flavoured with basil and garlic
- Lay a base of grilled eggplants, add salt
- Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- Add few more eggplants slices to make sure there is a good base and the tomato sauce is well spread.
- Add some more tomato sauce and salt
- Create a layer of cooked ham
- Add the sliced boiled eggs
- Cover with more eggplants, tomato sauce and parmesan cheese
- On Top add a layer of sliced fresh mozzarella
- Sprinkle some more breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180C – 350 F