This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Nocino recipe is an original Italian tradition, a family treasure, it was given to me from my Aunt Anna, my father’s sister.
It is a great liquor to offer after dinner. While a cold Limoncello is great for the summer, the Nocino is perfect for winter.
Nocino is made with green walnuts hull, which contains juglone and has antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic effects. It is also used as fungicide.
It is not easy to find at the store, so the best option is to make it at home if you can find the ingredients.
If you are not in Italy and cannot buy the 95% pure alcohol, you can replace it with vodka, but do not add the syrup.
Nocino is made in June when the walnuts are green. It will be ready for Christmas.
A perfect Christmas present !
If you want to know more about it read the article: A homemade Italian Liquor: Nocino
- 4 cup 95% pure alcohol if you cannot buy it replace with Vodka and don’t add sugar and water
- 16 green walnuts
- 16 cloves
- 16 coffee beans
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 lemon zest
- 17 oz sugar
- 2 cup water
- Cut the walnuts into quarters, using rubber gloves as the walnut stains very badly.
- Peel the lemon with a potato peeler trying to avoid having too much of the white. Cut the lemon zest into small slices
- Use a large glass container holding at least 3 litres with a wide bottleneck
- Mix everything in the bottle and keep in a dark place for 40 days.
- Give the bottle a shake every day.
- After 40 days, filter the alcohol but do not throw away the walnuts.
- Make the syrup by warming up the water and sugar mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Wait until the syrup is cold before mixing it with the Nocino.
- Once you have mixed everything together you can pour it into small bottles and store them in your liquor cupboard.
- It is best to wait until Christmas to drink it!
- Remember, if you still have some left over, it is a special treat to give friends at Christmas.
- You can make Nocino Wine by putting the alcohol soaked walnuts into 3 bottles of wine (red, rose or white).Enjoy !