This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Roasted chicken nuggets are a healthy version of the fried one. The breadcrumbs are mixed with Parmesan, garlic and basil to give them a nice flavour.
I am always on a lookout for ways to reduce calories without compromising on flavour, and this is one of my favourite.
Most of you are familiar with the delicious Milanese, a fried breaded cutlet. The meat is coated with flour, egg, breadcrumbs then fried, delightfully but calories loaded.
Less known but equally delicious is the Palermitana, a roasted breaded cutlet.
You still get the crunchiness and nuttiness of the breadcrumbs coat, but because it is not fried and it does not have eggs, its calories are reduced to roughly one third.
The secret of its flavour is in the breadcrumbs which are mixed with basil, garlic and, if you dare, 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese.
The meat is seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper. The olive oil will help the breadcrumbs to stick into the meat. It is a very small amount and will not have a big impact
They are cooked directly over a heavy hot iron pan and they do not require any additional fat for cooking. The breadcrumbs will prevent the meat from sticking to the pan. They can also be cooked in the oven on a parchment paper, all fat free.
They are so filling and tasty that a salad is all you need to go with them. Instead of chips I serve radishes to dip in salt, like the French do. They are a much healthier option: crunchy, salty and fat free.
They can be prepared and freeze uncooked if none of the ingredients was previously frozen.
- You can use frozen breadcrumbs described in the article:
Grated Parmesan and Breadcrumbs
They don’t need to be defrosted ahead of time.
- For additional storage and freezer recommendations follow the guidelines described in the article:
What Food Do You Freeze?
Roasted Chicken Nuggets
- 4 Half chicken breast No skin, no bones
- 2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove peeled garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 10 leaves fresh basil leaves finelly cut
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the breadcrumbs by mixing them with the parmesan, the garlic clove and the basil. For more instruction see the Breadcrumbs post mentioned above
- Cut the chicken breasts into slices and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Once they are well seasoned the oil will help the breadcrumbs to stick into the chicken. Coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat up a heavy roasting pan, preferably cast-iron. You do not need to add oil to the pan as the breadcrumbs will prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side, till the edge of the chicken become white, then turn.