Roasted chicken nuggets are a healthy version of the fried one. The breadcrumbs are mixed with Parmesan, garlic and basil to give them a nice flavour.
I am always on a lookout for ways to reduce calories without compromising on flavour, and this is one of my favourite.
Most of you are familiar with the delicious Milanese, a fried breaded cutlet. The meat is coated with flour, egg, breadcrumbs then fried, delightfully but calories loaded.
Less known but equally delicious is the Palermitana, a roasted breaded cutlet.
You still get the crunchiness and nuttiness of the breadcrumbs coat, but because it is not fried and it does not have eggs, its calories are reduced to roughly one third.
The secret of its flavour is in the breadcrumbs which are mixed with basil, garlic and, if you dare, 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese.
The meat is seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper. The olive oil will help the breadcrumbs to stick into the meat. It is a very small amount and will not have a big impact into the overall calories counting.
They are cooked directly over a heavy hot iron pan and they do not require any additional fat for cooking. The breadcrumbs will prevent the meat from sticking to the pan. They can also be cooked in the oven on a parchment paper, all fat free.
They are so filling and tasty that a salad is all you need to go with them. Instead of chips I serve radishes to dip in salt, like the French do. They are a much healthier option: crunchy, salty and fat free.
They can be prepared and freeze uncooked if none of the ingredients was previously frozen.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
- 4 Half chicken breasts No skin, no bones
- 90 gr bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 10 gr parmesan cheese grated
- 10 leaves fresh basil finelly cut
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the breadcrumbs by mixing them with the parmesan, the garlic clove and the basil. For more instruction see the Breadcrumbs post mentioned above
- Cut the chicken breasts into slices and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Once they are well seasoned the oil will help the breadcrumbs to stick into the chicken. Coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat up a heavy roasting pan, preferably cast-iron. You do not need to add oil to the pan as the breadcrumbs will prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side, till the edge of the chicken become white, then turn.
Calories 270 calories per serving Fat 8gr per serving Carbohydrates 18gr per serving Proteins 30gr per serving Sugar 2gr per serving Sodium 247mg per serving