Looking for quality/value? Here are some of the best supermarkets on the French and Italian Rivera, including my 2 favourite online stores for Asian and British delicacies and ingredients!
The South of France is full of charming farmers’ markets selling fresh local products beautifully arranged in their stalls. Now look closely at the prices: you might have been caught in a Tourist Trap.
Where do I buy my food? At the Best Supermarkets!
I take weekly or monthly trips to my favorites Best Supermarkets to stuck up my fridge and pantry.
Here is the list of my top choices listed, with +plus and -minus:
- Excellent combination of quality, variety and price.
- You can find anything at the best quality/value for money.
- The fish counter is fantastic and has the lowest prices in the region.
- Close to the Auto-route exit.
- It is always crowded.
- You can easily waste an entire day shopping, it is immense.
- Same positives as Carrefour Antibes, but not at the same up market level.
Probably the sophisticated clientele in Antibes keeps the standard very high.
- It is always crowded, probably even more than Antibes
# 3 Italian Wholesaler in Ventimiglia: Catering
It is a wholesaler, however private individuals can also make purchases by signing up and purchasing a € 2.5 card to enter.
They have fantastic prices and supplies.
- Excelent prices
- Plenty of products
- Need to buy in bulk
- It is far away
- Depending on where you live, it is the closest fresh fish counter you can trust, second to Carrefour only for prices.
- Large selection of products.
- Very handy if you plan a last minute picnic at the beach in Villeneuf Loubet Plage.
- It can be crowded especially in the summer.
- Good Carrefour quality and high standards as in Antibes, and during the winter months the Monaco population reduces dramatically.
- Worth stopping for food shopping if you are in Monaco.
- Very good wine selection and fresh seafood.
- Prices can be higher due to the Monaco location
- If you are in the area it is definitely a must, always open from 7am to 9pm, even on Sundays.
- You cannot go wrong. Fantastic Italian products at amazing prices compared to French supermarkets.
- No matter when you go, it is always crowded!!
The Best Supermarkets on the Internet
There are several Asian supermarkets on the French Riviera, however they sell a lot of prepared food, while I am looking more for traditional ingredients.
As an italian I wouldn't buy prepared Italian sauces, therefore I apply the same principle to Asian cuisine.
So for Asian/Japonese ingredients I always buy them online at the ‘Japan Centre’ (affiliate link) and have it delivered to my door.
You can find all type of ingredients at a fraction of the costs compared to France.
They have deliveries in the UK, France, Italy and off course Japan and China.
Not only is it convenient, but also more economical!
As I lived many years in London and my husband is Irish, we are often looking for some British food we cannot find locally.
So we shop online at the British Corner Shop (BCS) which is the British Expat shop that delivers over 8,000 food items worldwide. Ideal for expatriates or anyone that misses specific British food products abroad.
This is my list, and I am always looking for new places.
Do you have a favourite store? Why don't you share it in a comment below?