Those toasted butter wild berry muffins are moist inside with a crunchy crust, and have a nice toasted butter taste sharpened by the fruits’ acidity.
Toasted Butter (in french called beurre noisette)
To toast the butter you need to clarify it first, which mean spooning away all the white components of the melted butter. They are organic components and burn at high temperatures, so once they are removed the butter can be toasted and will acquire a nice nutty flavour.
American muffins are usually made with buttermilk, but since I cannot find it here in France I use Greek yogurt instead.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
- 75 gr butter
- 300 gr flour
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 package Baking Powder 1 tsp
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 gr sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cream at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen wild berries
- Melt the butter in a pan and as soon as white granules start to separate from the oily part,
- remove them with a sieve spoon
- Once all the white particles are removed let the butter toast until it becomes brownish and has a nice toasted flavour.
- Let it cool down at room temperature
- Whisk the yogurt, cream and sugar all together.
- Add the eggs, toasted butter and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder all together and add to the mix
- Lastly add the frozen berries without mixing too much otherwise they become mushy in the mix. That is why I prefer to use frozen berries, they remain more firm.
- Pour the muffin mixture into the muffin pan. I recommend using the recyclable silicon bases as they are easy to remove.
- Bake in a hot oven at 180 C for 30 minutes.
- Once ready, wait 5 minutes then remove from the pan and let them cool down.
- Enjoy !
Calories 216 calories per serving
Fat 11 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 26 gr per serving
Proteins 5 gr per serving
Sugar 5 gr per serving
Sodium 90 mg per serving