📋Grilled zucchini eggplants and peppers
This grilled vegetable salad is a great side dish for Mediterranean style barbecue. Even better if prepared the day before, so the vegetables have time to absorb the flavour from the garlic, the basil and the extra virgin olive oil.
Servings 5 people
Roast the peppers on the grill and turn until most of the skin is burned
Put aside and let them cool completely
Peel the aubergines and cut them in round slices
Cut the zucchini in slices lengthwise. If you are using a gas barbecue, the slices should be long enough so they do not fall in between the grill.
Roast the aubergines and the zucchini in the grill or in an iron pan.
Turn them and cook the other side.
Peel the peppers once cold, discharge all seeds and mix all the vegetables in the same bowl.
Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into thin round slices. Cut the basil leaves in stripes and mix all with the vegetables adding salt and virgin olive oil.
Best if this recipe is prepared the night before so the vegetables are left to rest and infuse with the garlic overnight
- I prefer to grill vegetables on a gas barbecue as I can better control the temperature. Also, I have a large Weber grill and I can cook a large quantity in a very short time.
- If you don't have an outdoor grill you can roast them on a skillet pan, but it will take longer as you can only fit a small number of vegetables.
- If you want to cook them on a charcoal barbecue make sure you cut even slices otherwise a thin side will burn while the large will remain raw.
- Zucchini can be grilled cut in slices lengthwise and no need to peel them
- Eggplants should be sliced and peeled as the skin can become hard
- You do not need to add oil as long as the grill or the pan is very hot. Once cooked the vegetables will detach from the grill or pan and can be turned easily.
- Peppers instead should be grilled whole at very high temperature so the skin burns away and the flesh remains chunky.
- If you are using an outdoor grill close the top so the temperature is high. If you don't have an outdoor grill you can grill them in the oven.
- Once they are cold the burned skin will peel easily. But before you clean the peppers make sure they are cold as hot water will be leaking out once opened.
- Keep the vegetable seasoning very simple in order to enhance their flavours. I season with salt, garlic, basil and good quality of extra virgin olive oil.
- Even better if prepared the day before, so the vegetables have time to absorb the seasoning.
- They can be served as a vegan main or a side dish for barbecued meat.
- They can also be served separately
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 1144mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3455IU | Vitamin C: 161.6mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1.7mg