It is a great liquor to offer after dinner. While a cold Limoncello is great for the summer, the Nocino is perfect for winter.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 50 servings
- 4 cup 95% pure alcohol if you cannot buy it replace with Vodka and don't add sugar and water
- 16 green walnuts
- 16 cloves
- 16 coffee beans
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 lemon zest
- 17 oz sugar
- 2 cup water
Cut the walnuts into quarters, using rubber gloves as the walnut stains very badly.
Peel the lemon with a potato peeler trying to avoid having too much of the white.
Cut the lemon zest into small slices
Use a large glass container holding at least 1 gal - 3 litres with a wide bottleneck
Mix everything in the bottle and keep in a dark place for 40 days.
Give the bottle a shake every day.
After 40 days, filter the alcohol but do not throw away the walnuts.
Make the syrup by warming up the water and sugar mix until the sugar has dissolved.
Wait until the syrup is cold before mixing it with the Nocino.
Once you have mixed everything together you can pour it into small bottles and store them in your liquor cupboard.
It is best to wait until Christmas to drink it!
Remember, if you still have some left over, it is a special treat to give friends at Christmas.
You can make Nocino Wine by putting the alcohol soaked walnuts into 3 bottles of wine (red, rose or white).
Tips for making the Nocino
- Use rubber gloves when you cut the walnuts as the walnut stains very badly
- Use a large glass container holding at least 1 gal - 3 litres to mix all the ingredients and let them marinate.
- Make sure the neck of the container is wide enough otherwise the smaller ingredients may not come out of the container once the liquor has marinated.
- Don’t let the neck of the container become a bottleneck!
- Peel the lemon with a potato peeler trying to avoid having too much of the white.
- Cut the lemon zest into small slices so they can easily be removed from the bottle.
- Do not throw away the walnuts
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Potassium: 1mg | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 0.1% | Iron: 0.1%