Italian pizza dough recipe
Original Italian pizza dough recipes you can use any topping #yourguardianchef #italianfood #pizza #traditional #italianrecipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 1 cup fresh water
- 3 cup flour (Type 55, All purpose, Plain, Type 0)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 yeast
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cucina (cut in cubes)
- 5 fresh basil leaves
Pour the ingredients into the machine and set the program for fresh dough, number 13 on the Kenwood.
NB: when using the bread machine the ingredients should be placed in the exact order as listed above, liquids first.
For best result, let the dough rest in the fridge overnight, well floured and wrapped in a plastic bag, otherwise it will crawl all over the fridge.
Once the dough is ready, cut it into 4 equal sizes and lay them down on a well-floured baking sheet.
When the dough is rolled flat, it needs to rest for at least 10 minutes before it rises.
In the meantime, put the pizza stone in the cold oven and set the oven at 220 C - 430 F.
Once the oven reaches the temperature of 220C - 430 F, take the pizza stone out of the oven and lay the dough on top.
Add a spoon of tomatoes sauce and salt and spread over the dough with the back of a spoon.
Add the mozzarella cheese
You can add any other toppings you like: basil, ham, Mushrooms....
Cook it in the oven for exactly 10 minutes and your pizza is ready;
Tips for making the best Italian pizza
- I make the pizza dough in the bread machine, just throw all the ingredients and the bread machine does all the rest. After 1 1/2 hour, I have a perfect pizza dough
- I prepare the dough the day before and let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours. The yeast will have enough time to rise and the dough will get a nice consistency, like the one you have in the restaurant.
- I cook the pizza on the hot Pizza Stone and the intense heat from the stone cooks the pizza crust evenly also in the centre and reproduced the effect of a wooden pizza oven.
- In this recipe, I make the dough with the bread machine. If you want to make the dough by hand jump to this recipe: How to make pizza dough without the bread machine
- Use the right flour: France is called ‘Type 55’, All-purpose flour in USA, Plain flour in UK, Italian type 0. For best results Manitoba flour
- Use a good quality tomato sauce for your pizza. If you made your own canned tomato sauce, that would be ideal. Otherwise, I recommend Mutti.
- it is not necessary to make a sauce beforehand. Just add salt and herbs over the pizza
- use the rectangular solid mozzarella for pizza and if I can I also add 1 or 2 tbsp of the grated one.
- If you want to use fresh mozzarella, release as much water as possible and don't put too much.
- A proper cheese for Italian pizza should be made of spun paste, also called stretched curd or pulled curd.
- The curd paste is pulled and kneaded in hot water. Beside the mozzarella other cheese are Provola, Provolone, Scamorza, Caciocavallo. All very good cheese for pizza.
- Once the pizza is cooked and out of the oven, drizzle some good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- You can top the pizza with any other ingredient you fancy (EXCEPT PINEAPPLE!!!).
Calories: 642kcal | Carbohydrates: 101g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 1573mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 315mg | Iron: 6.6mg