Gratin Dauphinoise Recipe
Gratin dauphinoise is my favorite French comfort food, creamy potatoes topped with grilled gruyère cheese. To save time, I make it in the microwave. You can prepare it earlier and grill it just before serving it. #yourguardianchef #frenchrecipe #potato
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 4 medium charlotte Potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp minced sage leaves
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk
- 1/4 cup liquid cream
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
Peel and clean the potatoes and the onion and cut them into thin slices, best with an electric slicer.
Rub the garlic clove inside a baking dish that can be used in a microwave and butter abundantly.
Layer the potatoes and the onion, seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkling with sage, thyme and some cheese.
Keep adding layers until you reach the top.
Pour over the milk and the cream which have been flavoured with some nutmeg.
Cook in the microwave at the highest level for 15 minutes (for larger quantity you will need to increase to 20 minutes). Let it rest for 5 more minutes in the microwave once it is done.
Add the remaining gruyere cheese generously to cover the potatoes, and grill it in the oven.
Tips to make the best easy Dauphinoise Potatoes gratin
- Cut the onions and the potatoes into thin slices, best with an electric slicer
- Use exactly the amount of milk and cream from the recipe
- Cook in the microwave at the highest level for exactly 15 minutes
- Put a baking tray under the gratin to collect any possible spill of cream and milk
- Top with plenty of cheese
- Serve warm
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 147mg | Potassium: 827mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 21.9mg | Calcium: 441mg | Iron: 5.7mg