📋Walnut Dark Chocolate Sponge Cake with Raspberry
Creamy and nutty chocolate sponge cake: dark chocolate taste with the soft texture of the meringue, chocolate icing and the raspberry to complete
Servings 10 people
- 7 oz cream
- 7 oz chocolate dark or milk: milk chocolate will make a softer frosting
- 1/2 cup raspberry
Prepare the ingredients
Melt the chocolate, sugar, coffee and water in a bain-marie or in the microwave for 1.5 minutes.
Mix and let it cool down
Separate the egg yolks from the white.
Mix the ground walnuts with 2 tbsp of flour.
Making the chocolate batter
Whip the butter with an electric mixer until it becomes creamy.
Add the egg yolks to the butter and mix
Combine the melted chocolate and sugar to the butter and eggs,
Then add the ground walnuts mixed with the flour.
Mix the batter well until all is combined
Adding the egg whites
Whip the egg whites till stiff and forming peaks.
Gently add it to the mix, one spoon at a time.
….until it is all combined.
Making the frosting
Gently warm the cream but make sure it does not boil. Best is to do it in a bain-marie over a pot of boiling water.
Take off of the heat and add the dark chocolate.
Mix until the chocolate melts.
Let it cool completely.
Place the mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. You will obtain better results if it is ice cold when you whip the cream.
Whip the chocolate cream.
Frosting and decorating the cake
Once the cakes are ready let them cool at room temperature before proceeding.
Place one cake over the serving dish
Spread some cream on top of the first cake.
Position the second cake on top.
Cover completely with the remaining cream
Spread the frosting also on the side.
Decorate with walnuts and raspberries.
Keep in the fridge until it is time to serve.
- Use a good quality dark chocolate, if you want to use milk chocolate the cake consistency will be different. Softer.
- Same principle for the frosting. If you want to use milk chocolate use less cream.
- To melt the chocolate you can also use the microwave at medium for 1.5 minutes.
- Make sure the egg whites are at room temperature. Cold egg whites won't make a firm foam.
- On the contrary, to whip the cream, it is best if the whisk and the bowl are very cold. Place them in the freezer 10 minutes before preparing the frosting.
- Make sure the baking tins are well-buttered and coated with flour so that the cake will not break when removed from the pan.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pans.
- Instead of raspberries, you can also use strawberries or blackberries
Calories: 527kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 720IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg