📋 Italian Broad Beans Recipe
More than recipes, these Spring starters are a ceremony to celebrate Spring. The fresh vegetables are piled in layers and covered with lettuce leaves to preserve the green colour of the produces.
Servings 6 people
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup fava beans, broad beans
- 5 small artichokes
- 1 small lettuce head
- 3 slices of bacon optional
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- 2 cup fresh water
- 1 tsp salt
Prepare all the vegetables
Layer the vegetables in the pot
In a casserole stir fry 1 onion and the bacon
Cover with a layer of lettuce and season
Add a layer of fave beans and season
Add a layer of peas and season
Add a layer of artichokes
Season and cook
Season and add 2 cups of water
Lay on top the 4 lettuce leaves, they will keep the colour of the vegetables green
Cover with a lid and simmer for 40 minutes
When ready, remove the top lettuce leaves
- When you buy broad beans, make sure the pod is green and firm.
- Remove them from the pod, remove the outgrowth that connects the bean to the pod and the skin.
- If you want to can leave the skin, but it can be bitter.
- It is important for this recipe that all vegetables are fresh if you don't want to spend too much time cleaning them, you can find some farm stands that clean them right there at the market.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 167mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 12.5mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg