📋Apricot Jam Cake With Marshmallow Frosting
This cake with marshmallow frosting is from a little cake book I bought in London in 1994 while browsing in Notting Hill, perfect for an afternoon tea.
Servings 8 people
Making the cake batter
Cream the butter (at room temperature) with sugar and lemon zest
1/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 2 tbsp lemon zest
Add the egg yolks
2 egg yolk
Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the mix alternating with the milk
1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup milk
Pour the mix into a baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with flour
Drizzle with warm apricot jam
2 tbsp apricots jam
Cook at 355 F - 180 C for 20 minutes
Making the marshmellow frosting
Whip the egg whites along with the sugar and spread on top of the cooked cake
2 egg white, 2 tbsp caster sugar
Sprinkle with the pistachios and put back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
2 tbsp grated pistachios
Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and place on a stand to cool down completely
Serve with coffee or tea
- Before you start, remember to leave the butter out of the fridge as you need it at room temperature
- The egg white to make the marshmallow also should be at room temperature
- When you need to whip the egg white, it is very important that there are no traces of the yolk, otherwise, the foam does not firm up. Break one egg at a time on a separate cup
- To separate the yolk from the white I use an egg separator, which I highly recommend. It is not expensive and it makes life so much easier when you have to separate the whites from the yolks.
- I use my homemade apricot jam if you want to know the recipe
- To bake this cake I used an 9 in - 22 cm cake pan with a removable bottom, you can use a smaller pan if you want a higher cake with a higher marshmallow frosting.
- Always wait 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan otherwise you risk to brack it.
- To make it easier to remove the cake I cover the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 199mg | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg