📋 Pasta with Swordfish Ragu and Eggplants
A delicious summer Ragu made with swordfish. I use the meat from behind the neck and around the top fin. It is tastier and costs half the price of the steak meat. Eating every part of the fish is a way of honouring its death. #yourguardianche #pasta #seafood
Servings 8 people
Fry the eggplants
Cut the eggplants in cubes, removing the skin
Deep fry the eggplants in olive oil
Drain them in kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil
Cook the swordfish
Wash the swordfish and dry the excess water with a paper towel.
Remove the skin with a sharp knife
In a large pan with high hedges, stir fry the garlic cloves
Add the fish and stir fry, be careful not to overcook it.
Once slightly cooked, it will be easy to remove the bones and cartilage from the flesh.
Remove from the pan and wait until it cools down before you start to clean it.
DO NOT CLEAN THE PAN AFTER YOU HAVE COOKED THE FISH
Place the clean fish meat aside
Making the sauce
In the same pan where you cooked the fish, cut the tomatoes in slices, add the basil and let it stew at medium to low temperature.
Add 1 tsp of salt
Simmer until the tomatoes melt into a sauce.
Putting it all together
In a separate pan, you can start boiling the salted water for the pasta
Add the fish and the eggplants to the sauce and mix
Taste and adjust for seasoning
Add the cooked pasta into the pan and stir
Serve and add pepper or hot chilli if you like spicy food
- This recipe is best made with the meat from the neck and around the top fin.
- Use San Marzano tomatoes and long eggplants
- Once the swordfish is slightly cooked, it will be easy to remove the bones and cartilage from the flesh.
- DO NOT CLEAN THE PAN AFTER YOU HAVE COOKED THE FISH
- If you think the eggplants can be too acidic, cut them in slices and let them drain in salt for 2 hours before frying them.
- Pasta should always be al dente, cook 1 minute less than what is written on the package
Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 886mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 8.8mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.6mg