A delicious summer lunch made with swordfish ragu.
I use the meat from behind the neck and around the top fin.
It is tastier and costs half the price of the steak meat.
Eating every part of the fish is a way of honouring its death.
If you want to know more don't miss the article: Swordfish Facts: buying fresh and cooking choices
As a matter of interest, I always cut my fish over a dedicated fish board as it is more hygienic.
I use an Index Chopping Board Setyou can find on Amazon (affiliate link)
Each board is colour coded and has a symbol indicating its use e.g. meat (red), fish (blue), vegetables (green), and cooked food (white).
Here are more of my favourite kitchen tools
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Pasta with Swordfish Ragu with Aubergines
- 500 gr swordfish – from neck
- 3 aubergines long would be best
- 300 gr fresh long tomatoes for tomato sauce
- 1 bunch of basil
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500 gr penne rigate
- oil for frying
- Cut the aubergines in cubes, removing the skin
- Deep fry the aubergines in olive oil
- Drain the aubergine in kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil
- In the meantime, wash the swordfish and dry the excess water with a paper towel.
- Remove the skin with a sharp knife
- In a large pan with high hedges, stir fry the garlic cloves
- Add the fish and stir fry, be careful not to overcook it.
- Once slightly cooked, it will be easy to remove the bones and cartilage from the flesh. Remove from the pan and wait until it cools down before you start to clean it. DO NOT CLEAN THE PAN AFTER YOU HAVE COOKED THE FISH
- Place the clean fish meat aside
- In the same pan where you cooked the fish, cut the tomatoes in slices, add the basil and let it stew at medium to low temperature. Add a tsp of salt
- Cook until the tomatoes melt into a sauce. In a separate pan you can start boiling the salted water for the pasta
- Add the fish and the aubergine to the sauce and mix
- Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Add the cooked pasta into the pan and stir
- Serve and add pepper or hot chilli if you like spicy food
Fat 15 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 49 gr per serving
Cholesterol 31 mg
Proteins 24 gr per serving
Sugar 1 gr per serving
Sodium 73 mg per serving
Nutritional information is provided for general purpose only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely.PIN FOR LATER: