Maki and Uramaki Sushi Recipes, what is the difference and how to make them. Find a step by step video tutorial and recipe to print.
As we like Sushi with plenty of salmon, I always prefer to make it at home.
It is very easy to make and I will walk you through all you need to know.
First of all, let's clarify the names:
What is the difference between the two? Maki is sushi rolled with the seaweeds outside, Uramaki in Japanese means inside out, meaning the seaweed is inside the roll. Nigiri are made only with rice and fish and Sashimi is only the fish.
Ingredients are very important, especially if you use raw fish.
Make sure the salmon has been stored at -20 C for at least 7 days.
To be safe, buy it at your favourite fishmonger.
In France I buy it at Carrefour Antibes
(Amazon affiliate links)
You never made Sushi before?
Here is a step by step video tutorial and below the recipe to print
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Maki and Uramaki Sushi Rolls Recipe
For the rice
- 500 gr Sushi Rice
- 1 cup Sushi Rice Vinegar Seasoning
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 gr fresh salmon stored at -20 C for at least 7 days
- 1 avocado
- 1 scallion
- Wasabi paste
- 10 sheets Nori Seaweed
- 45 gr sesame seeds as needed
To serve them with
- Soy Sauce
- Sushi Ginger
- Wash your sushi rice 2 to 3 times in fresh water
- Put the rice in a pan, add water (about 2 cm above the rice) and cover. There should be enough water to steam boil, but not too much. If too little, the water evaporates completely, and the rice will burn.
- Boil for 5 minutes, Simmer for 12 minutes, Let it rest covered for 10 minutes Do not open the pan while cooking as the steam will evaporate.
- In a small pan heat up the rice vinagre to dissolve the sugar and the salt
- Add the syrup to the rice. Mix and let it cool down completely.
- Best if rested for 1/2 day in the fridge
PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS
- Cut the salmon in small slices with a sharp knife
- Cut the avocado in slices
- and the scallion in strings
- Position your sushi mat and take your first sheet of Nori
- Shining part down and cut traces perpendicular to the mat sticks
- To spread the rice over the Nori keep your hands wet so the rice doesn't stick to your fingers
- To make a thin layer of rice, lay a cling film over the rice and
- roll it flat with a rolling pin
- With your finger, spread some wasabi along the edge of the rice
- Lay over the wasabi line the salmon, the avocado and the scallion strings
- Starting from the side with the filling
- keeping it tight with the mat
- Lift the mat
- Slice with a VERY sharp knife
- Maki Sushi Rolls
MAKING: Uramaki Sushi
- Next Nori sheet
- This time turn it up-side down
- Lay your filling over the Nori
- and roll
- remove the cling film
- Spread the sesames seeds over a tray
- and roll
- repeat - slice
- Uramaki Sushi
- Enjoy a homemade Sushi with plenty of salmon
Fat 12 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 79 gr per serving
Proteins 20 gr per serving
Sugar 39 gr per serving
Sodium 2927 mg per serving