This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A full Irish breakfast is made with eggs, rashers/bacon, sausage, white and black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, and soda or brown bread. Not easy to find all these ingredients in France, so we adapt!
White and black pudding
The sausage and the white and black pudding are very specific to Ireland. The pudding, in particular, is what differentiates an Irish breakfast from an English one.
They are like a large sausage filled with suet, oatmeal or barley, pork and pork liver. The ingredients are the same in both puddings, however, the black pudding has pork blood which makes it dark in colour.
They cannot be replaced by local products, even if you may found something looking very similar: black and white boudin. They are completely different from the Irish pudding. They are creamy and soggy while the Irish puddings are firm like sausage.
So ……..if you would like to have an Irish breakfast in France, you can’t!
So why do we call it Irish breakfast?
- Because my husband is Irish
- It is the closest we can get to an Irish breakfast
- So we pretend it is
We just have eggs, rashers/bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes, and to make it special we use our homemade English muffins.
So why don’t we call it English breakfast?
Because English breakfast has baked beans, and ….. no thank you!
The proper Irish breakfast
But if you want to have a proper full Irish breakfast, you need to find the puddings and the Irish sausages:
- Clonakilty White Pudding
- Clonakilty Black Pudding
- Richmond Thick Irish Sausages
Every time we travel to Ireland we stock up.
Those are the best Irish brands, but they do not sell them on Amazon.com However you can find the following products (affiliate links):
A proper Irish breakfast
A proper Irish breakfast is made with:
- White pudding
- Black pudding
- Irish sausages
- Grilled tomatoes
- Put it all together with mushrooms, eggs and some Irish soda bread.
As we cannot find soda bread in France, we serve the egg and the bacon on homemade English muffins.
Making a proper Irish breakfast
- Cut the pudding into large slices (1 in – 2 cm)
- Cook them on a hot iron pan brushed with butter
- Pierce the sausages and bake them in the oven at 355 F- 180 C for 20 minutes
- Place them on a pan and keep them warm
- Grill the tomatoes and mushrooms. Leave the tomatoes and the mushrooms whole. Cut them in half only if they are large. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Always keep the cooked meat and vegetables warm either next to the grill or in a warm oven.
Serving eggs and bacon on the English muffins
- If you want to serve the Irish breakfast with muffins,
- cut the muffins in two
- Grill the bacon
- Place it on top of the muffins
- If you want to shape the eggs round like the muffins cook them inside the rings you used for the muffins
- Place the eggs over the bacon on the muffins
- Serve with sausages, the Irish puddings, the tomatoes and the mushroom.
- Enjoy the Irish breakfast with a glass of orange juice.
More sausage and egg recipes you can have for breakfast
If you are looking for a nice rich breakfast with sausage and eggs you can check the recipes:
If you are making Irish breakfast leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋Irish breakfast in France
For a full Irish breakfast
- 7 oz Clonakilty White Pudding
- 7 oz Clonakilty Black Pudding
- 1 lb Richmond Thick Irish Sausages
- 2 tbsp Butter for the griddle
- Cut the pudding into large slices (0.4 in – 1 cm)7 oz Clonakilty White Pudding, 7 oz Clonakilty Black Pudding
- Bake the sausages in the hot oven, piercing them to let the fat out1 lb Richmond Thick Irish Sausages
- Cook the pudding on a hot iron griddle brushed with butter2 tbsp Butter
- Grill the cherry tomatoes and the mushrooms. Leave the mushrooms whole and if they are big cut them in half. Season with salt and pepper7 oz mushrooms, 4 cherry tomatoes, 2 tbsp Butter
- Keep the cooked meat warm either next to the grill or in a warm oven while you cook the eggs on the griddle. I use the Nambe tray and platter
- Warm up the muffins (you can find the homemade recipe on the blog) on the griddle. Cut them in half and place them on a serving tray4 Homemade English Muffin
- Cook the bacon on the griddle and place the slices over the muffins2 tbsp Butter
- Brush the grill with butter and cook the eggs. If you want to shape the eggs round like the muffins cook them inside the muffins' rings4 fresh eggs, 2 tbsp Butter
- Place the eggs over the bacon on the muffins.
- Serve immediately with the sausage, the pudding, the tomatoes and the mushrooms. Enjoy the Irish breakfast with a glass of orange juice.
- Irish breakfast should be served with Irish soda or brown bread
- We serve it with homemade English muffins
- The Irish bacon is a different cut then the usual one, it is more like a Canadian bacon, less fat
- If you want to shape the eggs round, pour them inside rings.
- Break them in a small bowl first to make sure they don’t break