This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This apricot jam cake with marshmallow frosting is a perfect cake to serve with coffee or tea.
It is from a little cake book I bought in London in 1994 while browsing in Notting hill after my admission interview for London Business School.
Every time I bake a cake from this book it reminds me of the feeling of that adventure.
I must have made at least 10 of them, but I always interchange some of the ingredients to suit our taste.
They have all been delightfully good.
This one is no exception:
Apricot jam cake with marshmallow frosting and pistachio
- 1/3 cup butter (90 gr)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp apricots jam
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp grated pistachios
- Cream the butter with sugar and lemon zest
- Add the egg yolks
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and add to the mix alternating with the milk
- Pour the mix into a baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with flour
- Drizzle with warm apricot jam
- Cook at 180 C for 20 minutes
- Whip the egg whites along with the sugar and spread on top of the cooked cake
- Sprinkle with the pistachios and put back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes then place on a stand to cool down completely
- Serve with coffee or tea