This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mini meringues are such a delicious and pretty bite to serve either with coffee or with a digestive. They are crunchy and melt in your mouth leaving a sweet smooth taste. These meringues are not chewy and will not stick to your teeth, I have a secret for that.
How to avoid chewy sticky meringues
Don't you hate when you bite a crunchy meringue and just when you are enjoying their sweet melting texture, they stick to your teeth?
Very annoying, especially if you are socializing.
That gooey sugary paste will have to stay attached to your gums until the party is over.
Well, I found the solution: “I add wine vinegar and cornflour” I know, I was also skeptical at first but I tried it once and never made a meringue again without adding these two ingredients.
Brittle and crunchy it melts in your mouth.
Whisking egg whites to perfection
Every time you need to whisk egg whites to a stiff peak, there are some important rules to follow to always secure a successful result:
- The eggs have to be at room temperature. I always keep my eggs out of the fridge. I know it is safe to do so here in Europe as that is how you find them in the supermarkets. However in the USA supermarkets eggs are stored in the fridge (there is a different treatment), so I wouldn't recommend doing so if you are in the USA. Remember to take the eggs out of the fridge a few hours ahead.
- When you separate the eggs, make sure there are no traces of yolk left in the whites. I always separate eggs one at a time in a separate bowl using an egg separator. If an egg yolk breaks I use that egg for another recipe and separate another one.
- Whisk with an electric whisker. If you are not used to whisking by hand for a long time and with consistent speed, it is best to use an electric whisker.
- Once the whites reach a stiff peak, cook them immediately as they will slowly deflate and go back to their liquid state.
- If you have to mix them with another ingredient or batter, you need to fold them gradually with a hand whisk. If the batter is added too quickly and mixed too fast, the egg white will deflate.
Making the mini meringues
- Whisk the egg whites until they become firm, then gently add half of the sugar.
- Combine the vinegar and the cornflour with the rest of the sugar and gently add to the mix.
- The mixture is ready to be piped into the desired shapes.
- Bake at 150C for 1 hour.
- Leave them in the oven to cool down
Desserts with meringues
I use this same recipe to make the meringues for the pavlova.
My favourite is pavlova with chestnuts, which is a perfect winter dessert.
It is an easy version of the Mont Blanc: meringue, chestnut spread and whipped cream.
To save time, I use the chestnut spread that you can even find on amazon.
I bake 2 large round meringues the same way I make the mini meringues, then put them one on top of the other filled with chestnut spread.
You can make a similar dessert by replacing the chestnut spread with any fruits that are in season.
If you use fresh strawberries you are making an Eton Mess, a traditional English dessert served since 1930 at the Cricket match between Eton and Harrow schools.
You can follow the recipe for a deconstructed strawberry shortbread cake and replace the shortbread with meringue.
These meringues are relatively easy to make as they are simply baked.
A more complicated meringue is a soft poached meringue used in the French dessert Ile Flottant (floating island).
It is not crisp nor sticky, but foamy and smooth that well combines with custards and creams.
This meringue is poached in milk then placed to float on a bowl of custard.
Poaching the meringue in milk can be messy and challenging.
So I found an easy solution and make my soft meringues in the microwave.
You can find the recipe on Ile flottant with microwaved meringues
More desserts with meringues
I have published several cakes where the base is made by whipped egg whites, then mixed with other ingredients. This Scandinavian almond cake is made with an almond meringue as a base topped by a butter custard sauce.
Another almond meringue cake is the Caprese chocolate cake, which was created by mistake. The chef forgot to add flour, therefore making the cake with only almond chocolate, sugar and eggs. A deliciouse gluten-free dessert.
Another delightful dessert is the Ile Flottante, a French dessert made with a soft meringue floating on a bowl of custard cream and decorated with caramel.
Last but not least Italian Torrone made with Italian meringues mixed with nuts. The Italian meringue is made by adding hot caramel syrup into the egg white while whipping them. It is a complicated procedure but a delightful dessert.
You can serve any of these desserts with any of my homemade liqueurs, enjoy!
If you are making these mini meringues recipe, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋 Mini Meringues Recipe
- Separate the egg whites in a bowl one egg at a time in case the yolk breaks. If it breaks the white cannot be used for the meringues3 egg white
- Pour the egg whites in a bowl and whisk them until firm with an electric whisker
- Once they become firm, gently add half of the sugar.1 cup caster sugar
- Combine the vinegar and the cornflour with the rest of the sugar and gently add to the mix.1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp cornstarch
- The mixture is ready to be piped into the desired shapes. Place the batter into a pastry bag and tight the back of the bag pushing the batter toward the pipe
- Pipe the desired shape on a flat baking pan covered with parchment paper
- Bake in a hot oven at 300 F - 150 C for 1 hour.
- Once they are done, turn off the oven and let them cool down inside the oven with the door closed
- Serve them at room temperature
- To make the merinues you need the egg whites to be at room temperature
- To make cruchy meringue add white wine vinegar and cornflour
- Meringues should be baked a low temperature