This Chiacchiere recipe is a traditional dessert usually sold during Carnival in Italy and in France.
In France, they call it Oreillettes which means hears, while Chiacchiere in Italian means chatting.
If you never heard of them before I am sure you will pronounce them wrong, so here it is:
Kiakkiere, the "Ch" in Italian is pronounced k, like in Bruschetta
Depending on where you are in Italy, you can find them under different names: Chiacchiere, Frappe or Bugie.
You can also find different versions: fried, baked, thin, large, with lemon zest or orange zest.
I like to make them using the original recipe from a renowned old Italian cooking book, where they are flavored with white wine. (Il Talismano della Felicita’ by Ada Boni - 1928)
Another Carnival fried dessert are the Struffoli o Pignolata, but many know them as a traditional Neapolitan Christmas dessert.
If you don't have a deep fryer, I would suggest Magimix Pro 350 °F - Fryer (3 L, 1.1 kg, 3 L, Single, Stainless Steel, stand-alone). It was recommended on a cooking course at Rick Stein’s in Padstow, and it is on my wish list. (affiliate link)
You can find out more about it and more fried recipe here: Deep Fryer
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
butter or vegetable shortening
- water about 3/2 cup. The amount necessary to reach right consisetncy
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Mix all the ingredients together
Add the water in very small quantities until it reaches the right consistency.
- Let it rest for 1.5 hrs
- create long sheets like lasagne sheets. I use the pasta roller, keeping it at the first level of the rolls thickness.If you like them thinner, decrease the thickness and keep rolling.
- Cut them into rectangular forms and create a cut in the center as shown. Twist them inside the center opening to give them a twisted shape.
- Repeat with all of them.
- Make sure they are well floured so they do not stick to the table.
Fry the Chiacchiere turning them to cook evenly.
- turning them to cook evenly.
- Place them in between paper towels to absorb the oil.
- Place the Chiacchiere on a serving dish, dusting each layer with icing sugar.
Calories 527 calories per serving
Fat 10 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 52 gr per serving
Sodium 359 mg per serving