Creamy truffle gnocchi is a fancy dish for a special occasion and doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. You can make these Italian potato gnocchi from scratch or buy them freshly made. Combine the pillowy potato dumplings with this creamy sauce mixed with black or white truffles and plenty of Parmesan cheese, and serve them as a side dish or primo piatto. They make such a classy meal that your friends and family will welcome the special celebration.
This white or black truffle gnocchi recipe is your best choice to make a meal exceptional and impress your guests or Valentine.
I always make this for Christmas lunch.
My sons love it so much that I don't even have to ask for help.
They are happy to join me in the kitchen to make those fluffy gnocchi from scratch, as they want a large amount and don’t want to wait.
If you want to know more about planning an Italian 6 meal course read the article: Italian Sunday dinner a 6 meal course
Truffles are costly, especially white truffles.
They should be listed on the stock market as their price is the same as gold.
Depending on availability, white truffles from Alba can cost between $ 5000 to $ 10 000 per pound
However, as other alternatives exist, you don't have to break the bank to prepare this dish.
For example, less expensive and still delicious are black truffles or Summer truffles.
You can also find black truffle oil, white truffle oil, truffle salt, black truffle butter, or cream with truffle flavor.
However, there are a lot of synthetic truffle flavors which are not at the level of real truffles.
It is, therefore, essential to read the labels and buy only a proper brand.
I personally like the Valnerina tartufi , and I want to specify that I have not been sponsored nor offered products to mention their brand.
It is a small producer based in Umbria, an Italian region renowned for its truffles.
Depending on your chosen mix, their jars can go from € 12 to € 29.
My favorite is white truffle mixed with wild mushrooms porcini.
Wherever you live, you might find different brands of truffle creams, and I recommend buying a small jar and trying it.
I have often been disappointed, so don't take it for granted.
And if you have a brand you tried and liked; please leave a comment below so we can all share our knowledge and experience.
What gnocchi to use
You can either use your homemade gnocchi or buy them freshly made at the.
If you want to make your homemade fluffy gnocchi, follow this recipe on the blog.
They are small delicate pillowy gnocchi made without egg, and you can taste the potatoes.
They nicely absorb the truffle sauce maintaining a light and delicate bite.
If you buy them, make sure they are freshly made in your local grocery store.
The prepackaged gnocchi are too chunky, overly dense or gummy.
This is a special dish, after all.
If you want to make your own homemade gnocchi from scratch these are the ingredients you need
- Russet potatoes
- All purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper
Follow the recipe fluffy gnocchi
For the creamy truffle sauce:
- A jar of truffle sauce. Here I use a mix of white truffle and porcini mushroom
- Heavy cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Pour the truffle sauce, heavy cream, and a little butter into a large pan. Do not turn on the heat.
- Next to it, place a large pot of salted water to cook the gnocchi.
- When the water is rolling boil, gradually put the gnocchi in the boiling water. Depending on your pan size, it is best not to put them all at once.
- When the gnocchi starts floating, remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in the pan over the truffle cream. The heat from the gnocchi will melt the butter and soften the sauce. Stir but very gently.
- Continue until all the gnocchi are cooked.
- Once all the gnocchi are done, stir the gnocchi with the sauce to combine. Always stir gently as the fluffy gnocchi are very delicate.
- Transfer the gnocchi to an elegant serving bowl and bring to the table. They should be eaten immediately while still warm
Using fresh truffle
If you want to use fresh truffle, you can look up the recipe for Pasta with black truffles.
Use the same method to clean the truffle, prepare the sauce, and cook the gnocchi as described above.
How to serve gnocchi with truffle
You can either serve the gnocchi as a starter or as a side dish for meat or poultry.
To retain the truffle falvor as predominant, serve it with a mild main course.
I wouldn't serve them as a side for seafood.
Here are some ideas of main dishes you can serve together with the truffle gnocchi:
Why are truffles so expensive?
Truffles are expensive because they cannot be cultivated. All the techniques that have been tested up to now have given poor results.
Truffles can only be wild, and because they grow under the ground, they are challenging to find. Searching truffles is very specialized and requires lengthy training and high investment.
Particular dog breeds with an acute sense of smell are trained to sniff and find the truffles from a distance. Only expert truffles hunters can succeed in their quest to find them.
Other types of Sauces for gnocchi
I published earlier the recipe to make Light and fluffy homemade gnocchi without the egg.
Now I want to give some ideas on unique sauces you can serve with them.
If you don't want to make gnocchi at home, you can buy them.
However, if you serve them with a special gnocchi sauce, even store-bought gnocchi can become a cozy festive meal.
Christmas is approaching, and I hope this will inspire you to celebrate at home with a home-cooked meal.
The most common gnocchi sauce is effortless, just butter and sage.
You can serve gnocchi with butter and sage to a more elaborate meat dish as a side dish.
In particular, pork or chicken as their flavor well combines with sage.
It makes a complete meal and is perfect for a winter Sunday lunch.
Gnocchi is very versatile, and you can serve them with any sauce you fancy: pesto, seafood, or vegetables.
After all, they are made of potatoes, and potatoes go with everything.
So I hope this article inspired you to celebrate your special occasion at home with a cozy homemade dinner to remember.
Recipes you might also like
Although, did you know that gnocchi are not only made with potatoes?
Check out my Gnocchi category for more ideas.
For a complete view of all the gnocchi recipes, check the web story: 9 Gnocchi recipes made from scratch
If you are making Truffle gnocchi or any other sauce I recommended in this article, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋Creamy Truffle Gnocchi With Parmesan Sauce Recipe
- If you want to make your own homemade gnocchi follow the recipe on the blog. If you buy them, make sure they are freshly made.1 lb homemade gnocchi
- In a pan pour the truffle sauce, the cream and the butter. Do not turn on the heat.1 jar truffle cream, ½ cup cream, ¼ cup butter
- In a large pan next to it, boil the salted water to cook the gnocchi.
- When the water is boiling, gradually put the gnocchi in the boiling water. Depending on the size of the pan you are using, it is best not to put them all at once.
- When the gnocchi start floating, remove them with a ladle and put them in the pan over the truffle cream. The heat from the gnocchi will melt the butter and soften the sauce. Stir but very gently.
- Continue until all the gnocchi are cooked
- Once all the gnocchi are done stir the gnocchi with the sauce to combine. Always stir very gently as the gnocchi from my recipe have no egg and are very soft.
- Transfer the gnocchi to a serving dish and bring it to the table. They should be eaten immediately while still warm topped by Parmesan cheeseParmesan for serving
- For this recipe, you can either use your own homemade gnocchi or buy them freshly made at the store. Not the packadged ones
- You can either serve the gnocchi as a starter or as a side dish for meat or poultry. personally I wouldn't use it as a side for seafood.
- Gradually put the gnocchi in the boiling water. Depending on the size of the pan you are using, it is best not to put them all at once.
- When the gnocchi starts floating, remove them with a ladle and put them in the pan over the truffle cream.
- Always stir the gnocchi very gently.