A gnocchi sauce for a special occasion doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. Among my favourite, truffle cream, it makes a meal classy and it does not have to break the bank.
I published earlier the recipe to make Light and fluffy homemade gnocchi without the egg.
Now I would like to give some ideas on special sauces you can serve with them.
If you don't want to make gnocchi at home, you can buy them.
However, if you serve them with an exceptional gnocchi sauce, even store-bought gnocchi can become a cozy festive meal.
Christmas is around the corner, and I hope this will inspire you to celebrate at home with a homecooked meal.
The most common gnocchi sauce is very simple, just butter and sage.
You can serve gnocchi with butter and sage as a side dish to a more elaborate meat dish.
In particular pork or chicken as their flavour well combines with sage.
For example, Pork Stew or chicken with Marsala and mushrooms.
As a gnocchi sauce, you can also use a classic tomato sauce, but if you want to make a special meal I would recommend my lamb ragu.
It makes a complete meal, and it is perfect for a winter Sunday lunch.
Gnocchi are very versatile and you can really serve them with any sauce you fancy: pesto, seafood, vegetables.
After all, they are made of potatoes and potatoes go with everything.
But if you really want to make a meal very special and impress your guests, or your valentine, gnocchi with truffle sauce is your best choice.
Let's not fool ourselves, White Truffles can be very expensive.
They should be listed on the stock market as their price is same as gold.
White truffles from Alba can cost between $ 5000 to $ 10 000 per pound depending on their availability.
Why are truffles so expensive?
Truffles are expensive because they cannot be cultivated.
All the techniques that have been tested up to now, have given poor results.
Truffles can only be wild and because they grow under the ground they are very difficult to find.
Searching truffles is a very specialized skill and require long training and high investment.
There are special dog breeds with an acute sense of smell that are trained to sniff and find the truffles from a distance.
Only expert truffles hunters can succeed in their quest to find them.
Although, you don't have to spend a fortune to buy the white truffles.
There are so many other alternatives as for example the less expensive and still delicious black truffles.
You can also find truffle oil, truffle-infused salt, butter or cream mix.
However, there are a lot of synthetic truffles flavours which are not at the level of real truffles.
It is therefore very important to read the labels and buy only a proper brand.
I personally like the Valnerina tartufi , and I want to specify that I have not been sponsored nor offered products to mention their brand.
It is a small producer based in Umbria, an Italian region renowned for their truffles.
Their jars can go from € 12 to € 29 depending on the mix you choose.
Wherever you live, you might find different brands of truffle creams, and I would recommend to buy a small jar and try it.
I have been disappointed many times, so don't take it for granted.
And if you have a brand you tried and liked, please leave a comment below so we can all share our knowledge and experience.
So I hope this article inspired you to celebrate Valentine at home with a cozy homemade dinner to remember.
Gnocchi sauce with truffle
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Truffle Gnocchi Sauce
- 500 gr homemade gnocchi see recipe: Light and Fluffy Italian Homemade Gnocchi
- 1 jar truffle cream
- 1/2 cup cream
- 50 gr butter
- Parmesan for serving
- If you want to make your own homemade gnocchi follow the recipe on the blog. If you buy them, make sure they are freshly made.
- In a pan pour the truffle sauce, the cream and the butter. Do not turn on the heat.
- In a large pan next to it, boil the salted water to cook the gnocchi.
- When the water is boiling, gradually put the gnocchi in the boiling water. Depending on the size of the pan you are using, it is best not to put them all at once.
- When the gnocchi start floating, remove them with a ladle and put them in the pan over the truffle cream. The heat from the gnoccchi will melt the butter and soften the sauce. Stir but very gently.
- Continue until all the gnocchi are cooked
- Once all the gnocchi are done stir the gnocchi with the sauce to combine. Always stir very gently as the gnocchi from my recipe have no egg and are very soft.
- Transfer the gnocchi to a serving dish and bring to the table. They should be eaten immediately while still warm