Next Tuesday is Pancake day, and instead of preparing pancakes with Maple Syrup, I am making Russian Pancakes with smoked salmon and homemade aioli, a mayonnaise flavoured with garlic.
Russian pancakes are called Blinis and here in France you can find them already made at the Supermarkets in the seafood section.
They are slightly thicker than pancakes and can be regular size or small, like a bite-size, very practical for buffets.
Blinis are usually served with seafood or caviar, our favourite is smoked salmon and aioli.
They are delicious also with shrimps, crab meat, smoked mackerel.
To season it you can use sour cream, mayonnaise, aioli or salsa tartar.
If you don't have time, you can buy blinis and sauces and assemble them just before serving them.
But since the 14th is also St Valentine we are in the spirit of celebration, so I decided to make them at home, Russian Pancakes as well as the Aioli.
It is not difficult and fresh blinis taste so much better.
To complement the goodness, make sure you buy a good quality smokes salmon, of course, we buy Irish.
Don't be surprised if I tell you that to make the Russian Pancakes I use the same recipe as the American Pancakes.
Yes, the very same and they are perfect.
To make the aioli, I use the recipe for my homemade mayonnaise and just add half garlic clove at the end.
If you never made homemade mayonnaise before, check out my article and you will find all the hints and tips to make a perfect homemade mayonnaise.
If you are hosting a dinner party you can serve small Russian Pancakes as an aperitive.
A more refined version of the usual crackers and so many ways to serve them.
Besides seafood, you can find in my next article 4 savory pancake ideas for a dinner party.
I hope you will try this Russian Pancakes with Smoked Salmon, either for pancake day or for St Valentine.
Blinis Russian Pancakes With Smoked Salmon
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Blinis are usually served with seafood or caviar, our favourite is smoked salmon and aioli. They are delicious also with shrimps, crab meat, smoked mackerel. To season it you can use sour cream, mayonnaise, aioli or salsa tartar. You can make regular size or bite-size for large dinner parties
type 00 optional Pain multi-céréales
Baking Powder 1 tsp
light oil for griddle
(safflower or canola oil)
lemon juice or white vinegar
- salt pepper
Blend all the ingredients for the pancakes with an electrical blender.
- Put a heavy-based frying pan or an iron griddle over high/medium heat and wait until it is warm before cooking the pancakes
- Pour the oil into a small cup and with the use of a brush grease lightly the pan
- Pour the batter over the hot griddle making pancakes with 10 or 5 cm in diameter depending on your needs.
- Once you see bubbles appearing through the batter, turn the pancakes on the other side.
- When the pancakes are done and you removed them from the pan, brush the pan with oil again before pouring more pancakes to cook
- All ingredients should be at room temperature
- In a bowl whisk the egg with salt, pepper and the mustard.
- Very slowly add the vegetable oil, in a thin but continuous flow.
Add the lemon juice or the vinegar with the garlic at the end
- Keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days
First, lay a slice of salmon then add a tsp of mayonnaise
Add a swirl of lemon zest on top
Calories 202 calories per serving
Fat 9 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 19 gr per serving
Proteins 9 gr per serving
Sugar 2 gr per serving
Sodium 321 mg per serving