This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These bread rolls with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and pine nuts are perfect for those days when you want to make something special with no effort.
There is nothing homier than a loaf of homemade bread, and if you add some of your family favorite vegetables, nuts, and cheese, you know you are making everybody happy.
I usually make those rolls on a winter day, when we are having a healthy minestrone soup and the boys want some yummy bread to deep into it.
I put plenty of cheese and they even enjoy having some extra vegetables mixed inside the bread.
If you don’t have the bread machine you can find here How to make the dough without a bread machine.
Once the dough is done you roll it flat and cover with your favorite mix of vegetables, cheese, and some nuts.
Here I used gruyere cheese because I like a strong cheese with the sun-dried tomatoes, but you can use any cheese.
Mozzarella will give you a nice stringy cheese taste.
I use the sun-dried tomatoes my mom sends me from Calabria.
They are locally grown and dried and you can taste the sun at each bite.
They are put in bags at the counter, straight from the barrel where they are sold by weight.
They last for months because they are salted and completely dried.
Before using them I just immerse them in very hot water (at boiling point) to clean and disinfect them.
They are one of my favorite pantry backup-vegetables, I can always count on them when I have no fresh vegs in the fridge.
Frozen spinach is another of my backup vegetables resources.
They are among the few vegetables that freeze well and always ready to use when you have no fresh vegetables left.
If you want to know more about how I buy my vegetables you can read the article: The Time-saving Vegetable Rule
I love my Bread Rolls with vegs, cheese, and nuts.
If there are any leftover I can freeze them or have them for lunch instead of the usual sandwich.
Bread Rolls With Spinach And Sun-dried Tomatoes
For the dough
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 pkg bread Yeast I prefer Active dry
For the filling
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1 onion
- 5 oz sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
Prepare the dough
- Load the ingredients into the machine and set the program for fresh dough (number 10 for Kenwood). The dough will be ready in 1.5 hours.IMPORTANT: in the bread machine the ingredients should be placed in the exact order as listed above, liquids first.
- Before you take out the dough from the bread machine basket, make sure you have sprinkled the surfaced of the board with plenty of flour. The dough will be sticky so you need to coat it with flour immediately to stop it from sticking to your hands.
Prepare the filling
- Stir-fry the spinach with an onion until they defrost completely. Let it cool down
- Prepare the sundried tomatoes and minced them in small pieces
Prepare the rolls
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape
- Spread the spinach and sun dried tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts
- Roll the dough over one side
- Cut the rolled dough into slices
- Put the rolls on a baking tin leave enough space around it as they will rise
- Let them rest for 30 minutes
- Cook them for 30 minutes at 180C
- Once they are ready, arrange into a bread basket and serve