Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter

Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter

You can add any flavour you like, vanilla, lemon zest, orange zest.

Jump to Recipe

Here I added orange blossom water which you can easily find in Italy as it is the base for a very popular Easter cake, Pastiera Napoletana.

Pastiera is also made with ricotta and I had some orange blossom water recipe leftover from Easter, so I decided to use it and the result was fantastic.

I thought it was a good time to post this recipe since France is facing a butter shortage.

Yes, it is real !

Described as the worst since the end of World War Two, the Supermarket shelves are empty.

There have been several causes for this shortage of supply, a reduced European support to farmers and an increasing demand of croissant in Asia and the Middle East.

Price of butter has gone up and restaurants owners and bakers have been stocking butter from the supermarkets.

Carrefour empty selves no butter in France

Carrefour note Why there is No Butter in France

When is butter coming back to our supermarket shelves?

Who knows, but guess what?

Even if there is no butter for us, consumers, to buy, all those processed prepared meals that use butter are still available.

No way, I wouldn't buy any those processed cakes.

I much rather make cakes without butter, and this one is my favourite one.

I always bake my cakes in a Cake Pan with Loose Base.
This is my affiliate link if you want to find it on Amazon.

If you are interested you can find more of my favorite useful kitchen items here.

bake the cake in a Pan with Loose Base at 180C for 40 minutes

For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps

For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions

5 from 7 votes
Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter

Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter
Prep Time
10 mins

Cook Time
40 mins

Total Time
50 mins

It is not a creamy cake similar to the American cheesecake, but a soft spongy cake you can serve with tea. You can add any flavour you like, vanilla, lemon zest, orange zest. Ingredients are easy to remember, everything is 3

Course:

all-purpose
  • 3
    eggs
  • 1
    small package
    baking powder (3tsp)
Either one of those ingredients for flavouring
  • 1
    or
  • 1
    tsp
    vanilla

Instructions
  1. First mix the ricotta with the sugar

No butter cake mix the ricotta with the sugar
  2. until it becomes fluffy

No butter cake stir until fluffy
  3. Add one egg at the time until combined

No butter cake add one egg at the time
  4. Combine the flour with the baking powder, add to the mix the dry ingredients and the flavour of your choice

No butter cake add the flour mixed with baking powder
  5. Cover a baking tin (25 cm 10 " diameter) with parchment paper and use margarine to butter the tin if no butter is available

6. Bake the cake in a hot oven at 180C for 40 minutes

bake the cake in a Pan with Loose Base at 180C for 40 minutes
  7. Let it cook down for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan

Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter slice

Recipe Notes

Calories 207 calories per serving Fat 6 gr per serving Carbohydrates 29gr per serving Cholesterol 70 mg Proteins 10 gr per serving Sugar 3 gr per serving Sodium 27 mg per serving

Nutritional information is provided for general purpose only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely.

This is an old Italian ricotta cake no butter recipe from the wartime when butter was scarce. It is not a creamy cake similar to the American cheesecake.

16 comments for “Classic Italian Ricotta Cake No Butter

1. 4th November 2017 at 10:23 am

Omg that’s crazy that there’s no butter, it’s scary how quickly these things can happen. This cake sounds absolutely delicious and perfect for everyone that can’t buy butter!

• Laura
      4th November 2017 at 11:50 am

It is scary, and who knows when will we get it back

2. 4th November 2017 at 10:53 am

Oh no! A butter shortage sounds like a nightmare! This cake looks awesome though

• Laura
      4th November 2017 at 11:49 am

I know, I couldn’t believe it. I hope it does not last too long

3. 4th November 2017 at 11:58 am

That ricotta cake looks amazing Laura, I’d love to make it with orange zest as it’s my favorite flavor in a cake. Thanks for a recipe without butter, I’m still stocked up but worrying for the next future, I’ll have to go buy it in Italy, like my olive oil!

• Laura
      5th November 2017 at 4:53 am

Lucky you. I don’t know Patty, I think everybody is going to Italy at this point I am not sure about that either

4. 4th November 2017 at 12:27 pm

I can’t believe this crazy butter situation! This looks delicious, a great recipe to have handy.

• Laura
      5th November 2017 at 4:52 am

It is, my boys are happy

5. Amanda
    4th November 2017 at 1:00 pm

How delicious. I haven’t had ricotta cake in years, and I am so craving it now! Love it flavored with orange blossom water.

• Laura
      5th November 2017 at 4:51 am

I know, I am glad we have no butter so I took out the recipe again

6. R.Amuthavalli
    8th May 2018 at 6:43 am

Wow..this is really nice. But as I’m on low carb diet, searching for the recipe, where i can bake totally free from flour& sugar.
    Can i try with coconut flour& for sweetness thick,fresh coconut milk??

• Laura
      8th May 2018 at 7:22 am

Thank you for your comment. I am not familiar with coconut flour, so I can only suggest to try and see. Just try to keep the proportions of wet and dry ingredients about the same so if you are substituting sugar why don’t you try with fructose products specifically made for diabetes. They will have the equivalent measure replacement to sugar on the box

7. Pauline
    15th May 2018 at 10:18 pm

Delicious! I remember the butter shortage, how ridiculous we were!
    I just discovered your blog and I love it!

• Laura
      16th May 2018 at 5:07 am

Thank you, I am glad to have you as a new reader. Welcome to the family !

8. Maylyn Larkin
    17th July 2018 at 2:12 pm

It doesn’t say which flour to use also what size pan. So I’m hoping for the best

• Laura
      17th July 2018 at 2:50 pm

Hi Maylyn, you can use a regular flour as an all-purpose flour in UK. In Italy, we normally use 00 and in France 55 it will be ok either way. To my subscribers, I give a link to download for free a collection of conversion charts for Flours, measurements and name of meats which is very useful if you cook/travel around Europe. In terms of the dimension of the pan, it is a 25cm/10″. I give a link to Amazon and a page where I list all my baking pans and utensil. Hope that helps and that you will like it.