Arancini are a tradition in the South of Italy. They are risotto balls filled with cheese and/or meat, coated with breadcrumbs and fried.
A bit more complicated than my Rice Balls, in Italy they are often served at buffets or dinner parties.
You can use leftover risotto, or you can follow this recipe.
First boil the rice with vegetarian, beef or chicken stock, depending on your needs and recipe.
Then mix the rice with 100 gr of peas, 2 eggs, 50 gr of parmesan cheese and if you want 200 ml of tomato sauce
This post is sponsored by Riso Gallo
The key to its success is to use a quality rice, and with ‘Riso Gallo’ you cannot go wrong. (affiliate link)
They are one of the oldest Italian rice producers and the largest producer in Europe.
They have been operating since 1856, and their rice is available in most European supermarkets.
Roll them into balls to fit into the palm of your hand.
If you wish you can put a piece of mozzarella cheese inside, and ham if you don’t need the vegetarian version.
First roll the balls in beaten eggs, then in breadcrumbs.
Deep fry them and you can warm them up in the oven just before your party.
To make a gluten free version of the Arancini, you need to substitute the breadcrumbs with a gluten free option.
This prompted me to experiment a little, so I came up with these solutions.
You can use gluten free bread or panko, however if you cannot find these in the store, you can also use:
1. Grated almonds
2. Sesame seeds
3. Rice cakes
Riso Gallo sells Gluten free rice cake. (affiliate link)
They can be grated at home in a mixer and used instead of breadcrumbs for coating.
Once fried they are very similar to breadcrumbs and you would hardly notice the difference.
I tested these 3 options and they all had a good result.
You can choose one, or make them all to create a more colourful buffet.
If you don’t have a deep fryer, I would suggest Magimix Pro 350 °F – Fryer and T-Fal FR8000 Deep Fryer for USA
It was recommended on a cooking course at Rick Stein’s in Padstow, and it is on my wish list. (affiliate link)
You can find out more about it and more fried recipe here: Deep Fryer
Products from Amazon.com
Rice Arancini Recipe Gluten Free and Vegetarian
For the Rice
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb Carnaroli Rice Riso Gallo
- 6 cup homemade stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
For the Filling
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup mozzarella cucina cut in cubes
- 1 cup shredded Ham optional
- 2 cup tomatoes Sauce optional
- 2 eggs
For the Coating
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cup breadcrumbs
- 1.5 cup sesame seeds
- 1.5 cup grated almonds
- 7 rice cakes Riso Gallo gluten free rice cakes
- oil for frying
- Stir fry the onion with 30 gr of butter at a very low heat, the onion should not burn.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the rice and increase the heat. The rice has to toast in the butter so that the grains are sealed.
- Proceed to cook as a risotto. The rice should be continually stirred and stock added regularly 1 or 2 ladles at a time. Cook for 15 minutes.
- An easier option to consider is adding all the stock at once, and boil the rice for 15 minutes until the stock is completely absorbed. Keep it covered and add hot water if necessary.
- Once cooked, let it cool down at room temperature.
Preparing the Arancini
- Then mix the rice with 100 gr of peas, 2 eggs, 50 gr of parmesan cheese and if you wish 200 ml of tomato sauce.
- Roll the rice into balls to fit into the palm of your hand.
- Place a piece of mozzarella cheese inside, and ham if you are not making the vegetarian version.
Coating the Arancini
- Beat 2 eggs and season with salt and pepper
- Grate the almond in a blender
- Grate the rice cakes in a blender
- Pour the 4 different coatings onto 4 different plates
- Divide the balls into 4 groups, one for each type of coating.
- First roll the balls into the beaten eggs, then in one of the coatings.
- Once all the balls have been coated with one of the four coatings (almond, breadcrumbs, rice cakes or sesame seeds), fry them.
- Eat them warm or warm them up in the oven just before your party.