The Vegetarian Rice Timbale is more challenging to make than Risotto, but it is delicious and presents well.
It is practical for dinner parties as you can prepare the rice and the filling the day before, and compose the Timbale just before your party.
It can be served as a main dish and if you have a nice shaped tin, it will intrigue your guests when served at the dinner table.
Suitable for gluten free and vegetarian diets.
This post is sponsored by Riso Gallo
The key to its success is to use a quality rice, and with ‘Riso Gallo’ you cannot go wrong.
They are one of the oldest Italian rice producers and the largest producer in Europe.
They have been operating since 1856, and their rice is available in most European supermarkets.
For homemade stock see recipe: Homemade Stocks
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Vegetarian Rice Timbale with Grilled Aubergine Recipe
For the Rice
- 70 gr butter
- 1 onion
- 500 gr Carnaroli Rice Riso Gallo
- 1.2 lt homemade stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
- 40 gr parmesan cheese grated
For the Sauce
- 1 lt regular tomato sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 aubergines
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- salt additional salt for aubergines
For the filling and the covering
- 200 gr fresh mozzarella
- 3 eggs
- 3 aubergines
- Stir fry the onion with 30 gr of butter at a very low heat, the onion should not burn.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the rice and increase the heat. The rice has to toast in the butter so that the grains are sealed.
- Proceed to cook as a risotto. The rice should be continually stirred and stock added regularly 1 or 2 ladles at a time. Cook for 15 minutes.
- An easier option to consider is adding all the stock at once, and boil the rice for 15 minutes until the stock is completely absorbed. Keep it covered and add hot water if necessary.
- Once cooked, add the rest of the butter and the Parmesan and let it cool down at room temperature.
Grill the Aubergines
- Clean the aubergines, peel the skin and cut them lengthwise.
- Grill them over a hot iron pan.
- Season them with salt and let them cool down.
Covering the Baking tin
- Oil a baking tin with a hole in the center
- Cover the tin with the grilled aubergine slices radially from the center to the external side
Preparing the filling
- Cut the remaining grilled aubergines in small pieces and add them to the tomato sauce.
- Add to the sauce the mozzarella cut in cubes and stir.
Composing the Timbale
- Spread the rice on the side of the pan making the space to put in the fillings, and leaving some rice aside to cover the base.
- Place the filling inside and cover the top with the remaining rice.
- Cook in a hot oven at 200 C for 40 minutes or until the top of the Timbale is nicely browned.
- Make sure the rice has cooked enough to maintain its shape once turned. If you touch the top it will be hard and nicely crunchy.
- Once the Timbale is cooked, wait 10 minutes before turning it over on the serving plate.
- Fill in the centre with the remaining sauce, decorate with some green and serve.
- When you bring it to the table and cut the first slice, the filling will come out as a nice surprise.
Fat 15 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 41 gr per serving
Cholesterol 59 mg
Proteins 11 gr per serving
Sugar 1 gr per serving
Sodium 4114 mg per serving