This suksesskake recipe was given to me by a Norwegian friend Liv in 1994.
It is a crunchy spongy almond meringue covered with a creamy butter sauce, a resemblance to a creamy white chocolate.
In the background is a reproduction of Stavanger harbor front.
Thank you Liv, this cake has been a success ever since!
I served this dessert when I invited for lunch Michelin Star Chefs Arnaud Tabarec and Christophe Dufau and cooked for them at:
(8th of December 2015)
Christophe defines it: "Memorable"
I make the buttercream in Bain Marie which is a technique used to make every custard.
Instead of cooking over direct heat, the custard is cooked gently over a pot of boiling water.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
- 4 eggs white
- 150 gr grated almonds best if you grate them yourself
- 150 gr icing sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 eggs yolk
- 100 ml liquid cream
- 125 gr caster sugar
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 gr butter
If you bought fresh almonds, peel them by putting them in boiling water to loosen up the skin.
Grate the almonds
- Whip the eggs white till firm, then add the sugar and keep whipping to maintain the firmed foam.
Gently add the grated almonds mixing them by hand, making sure the egg whites remain firm.
- Pour into a round oven pan which has been buttered and floured.
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 180 C.
- Once cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes then move into a rack to cool down completely.
- In a pan, pour and combine all the ingredients for the cream except the butter.
- Cook in bain-marie until the cream reach the consistency of a custard cream.
- Take away from the heat and add the butter. Mix until the butter is all melted and the cream has taken a yellowish colour.
- Once the meringue and the cream are cold, pour the cream over the meringue and decorate with berries. the suksessekake can be served at room temperature.
Calories 411 calories per serving
Fat 25 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 41 gr per serving
Proteins 7 gr per serving
Sugar 37 gr per serving
Sodium 40 mg per serving