Caprese cake is a Chocolate cake from Naples, which was created by mistake!
In 1920 Chef Carmine Di Fiore made a chocolate almond cake but forgot to add flour.
The cake was a pleasant surprise, creamy inside but with a crunchy crust.
As there is no flour, it is gluten free. A delicacy for all celiac.
This recipe was presented by Eliana de Matteis during her cooking class at the Mediathec Pole Culturel Auguste Escoffier, Villeneuve Loubet
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
The cake was a pleasant surprise, creamy inside but with a crunchy crust. As there is no flour, it is gluten free. A delicacy for all celiac.
- 300 gr peeled almonds
- 220 gr caster sugar
- 200 gr butter
- 200 gr dark chocolate
- 30 gr cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and a pinch of salt until puffy and foamy. For about 15 minutes
- Slightly toast the almonds in the oven and let them cool down at room temperature
- Melt the chocolate in a large bowl over boiling water (Bain-Marie)
- In a blender pulse the almonds with the coco until they are roughly grated
- Add to the egg mix the almond and the melted chocolate folding slowly, making sure the mixture does not deflate
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin (22-24 cm of diameter) previously covered with parchment paper.
- Cut parchment paper into a round shape, placing it at the bottom of pan and add 2 long strips along the side
- Cook in a hot oven at 170 C for about 45 minutes checking with a toothpick that the inside remains slightly humid
- Once ready, turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven for 10 minutes, with the door slightly open.
- Let it cool down for another 15 minutes at room temperature before removing it from the pan.
- Once completely cold, the cake can be decorated with icing sugar
- You can also use a template to sprinkle some cocoa to add a message to your cake
Calories 549 calories per serving
Fat 40 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 42 gr per serving
Cholesterol 136 mg
Proteins 11 gr per serving
Sugar 34 gr per serving
Sodium 52 mg per serving
Nutritional information is provided for general purpose only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely