This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Béchamel, also called White Roux, is a basic sauce for many Italian and French recipe.
I always keep this recipe and its measurements at hand in the kitchen so I can quickly make it if I need.
You can adjust the quantity of the flour based on the consistency you need.
Below a list of recipe where I use it.
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
- Scallop, Shrimp, Salmon and Cod Fish Pie with a Mediterranean Twist
Since the homemade Béchamel requires a lot of stirring I would recommend using a wooden spoon with comfortable handles and you can find my affiliate link from Amazon.
Homemade Béchamel White Roux
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Stir for 1 or 2 minutes the flour and the butter in a pan over low heat with a wooden spoon to create a white roux.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the warm milk making sure no lumps are formed.
- Put back on the heat and bring to boil stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and keep steering, till it reaches the right consistency.
- Add salt and nutmeg at the end.