Homemade Béchamel, also called White Roux, is a basic sauce for many Italian and French recipe.
I always keep this recipe and its measurements at hand in the kitchen so I can quickly make it if I need.
You can adjust the quantity of the flour based on the consistency you need.
Below a list of recipe where I use it.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Homemade Béchamel White Roux
- 22 gr flour
- 22 gr butter
- 300 ml milk
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Stir for 1 or 2 minutes the flour and the butter in a pan over low heat with a wooden spoon to create a white roux.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the warm milk making sure no lumps are formed.
- Put back on the heat and bring to boil stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and keep steering, till it reaches the right consistency.
- Add salt and nutmeg at the end.
Fat 24 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 1427 gr per serving
Cholesterol 71 mg
Proteins 12 gr per serving
Sugar 11 gr per serving
Sodium 419 mg per serving