This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken and mushroom pie recipe is a complete meal that will satisfy all palates, children as well as adults.
It can be made ahead and cooked just before it is served.
To contrast the buttery taste of the bechamel and the mushrooms, I add some lemon zest.
If you are not planning to boil any chicken (why wouldn’t you anyway?) you can make it with any chicken leftover or a roasted chicken.
Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup béchamel
- 11 oz short pastry (from recipe above)
- 2 leeks
- 11 oz mushroom
- 1 boiled chicken
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon zest
- Make a shot pastry as from the recipe above and keep it in the fridge
- Make a Béchamel sauce
- Debone the chicken
- Gently stir fry 2 leeks that have been washed and diced, using 25 gr of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the leeks are cooked add the peas and cook for 3 minutes
- Then add the chicken,300 gr of mushrooms halved. Add salt and pepper and cook for few minutes
- To finish add the béchamel sauce, ½ lemon zest. Stir till it is all well combined and let it cool.
- Butter a baking pan and cover the base with parchment paper, making sure the entire surface is well buttered.
- Take the short pastry out of the fridge and keep 1/3 aside to make the top of the pie.
- Roll flat the remaining 2/3 of the pastry.
- Cover the pan with the pastry making sure the sides are all covered and pierce it everywhere with a fork.
- If the pastry becomes too soft put it back in the fridge to cool for another 30 minutes.
- Pour the chicken mix in the pastry, cover with the remaining 1/3 of the dough and seal the edges with your fingers.
- Make a hole in the centre so that the steam can escape and, if you have some pastry leftover, you can make some additional decoration on top.
- Cook in a hot oven at 180 C for 30 minutes.