This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Magret de Canard sauce a l’Orange may seem like a complicated dinner, however, it is not difficult to make.
This week is La Semaine du Goût here in France, and according to the travel website Expedia, the French have voted the Magret de Canard as their favorite dish.
The technique to cook the magret is very simple and you can find here below a step by step instruction.
Sauces you can use
I use an orange based sauce which is a classic and also my favourite. You can use any other sauce you fancy, like cream, teriyaki, white wine.
Ingredients for the Magret de Canard
To prepare the duck Magret you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 duck magret
- Juice from 2 oranges
- 1 orange sliced and peeled
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- ¼ cup of Cointreau
- Salt and pepper
Note: If the oranges are too sweet you can add 1 tbsp of cider vinegar.
How to cook the Magret
- Clean the duck magret.
With a sharp knife remove the two white membranes so the magret will not curl when cooking.
- Trim the fat from the side
- And carve the top of the skin in diamond shapes.
- Place the duck magret to cook on medium heat, skin side down.
No fat is needed as the fat from the skin will melt straight away.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes then turn. Cook for 10 more minutes.
If too much fat has melted remove it from the pan.
Make sure the meat is well seared everywhere.
- Remove the duck magret and place them on a plate covered with aluminium foil.
Remove all the fat from the pan, but do not clean it.
- Deglaze the pan with the orange juice.
- Add the sugar, orange slices and Cointreau.
Cook until the juices are caramelized, about 10 minutes at medium heat.
- Let the duck magret rest for 5 minutes then slice them and pour the juices on top.
The Magrets de Canard is ready
What can you serve with the Magret de Canard
Magret de Canard a l Orange It can be served with Gratin Dauphinoise and a vegetable of your choice. You will find those recipes below.
I use the microwave for the gratin, and it is the easiest thing to make when you have guests.
You can find a step by step guide on how to prepare both dishes for a dinner party here.