This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Make a meal out of nothing using savory crepes to make baked spring rolls. I am using cabbage, carrots and some leftover chicken.
This recipe is one of my favourite when I have nothing to cook in the house. Since I usually stock up on eggs, flour and milk, those are ingredients I can always count on.
Savory crepes are very easy to make, you can fill them with anything and they become a meal. Whatever vegetable or meat you have in the fridge, you can combine them with a bechamel sauce and some cheese.
Roll them in the crepes, put them in the oven and your dinner is done. What vegetable do you usually have in your fridge waiting to be used?
In my fridge, there is always a cabbage! I don’t know about you, but when I buy a cabbage it lasts forever. As soon as I shred a quarter of a cabbage it triples in size so I always have to come up with new ideas on how to use it.
The simplest is to make a coleslaw by mixing it with homemade mayonnaise and 1 tbsp of mustard.
When I need to feed a crowd I serve the coleslaw with Pulled Pork Cooked in the Pressure Cooker.
One day, we had the usual perpetual cabbage sitting in the fridge and my sister Gilda had the idea to make savory crepes and stuff them with stir-fried cabbage.
Instead of making a bechamel sauce she just added some soy sauce and put the savory crepes in the oven. The result was surprisingly good.
Everybody loved them as they resembled Chinese Spring Rolls cooked in the oven.
Savory Creps Spring Rolls are also very practical to make.
You can prepare them in advance and just put them in the oven 20 minutes before serving.
If I don’t have a boiled chicken, I stirfry some minced meat and then the shredded cabbage.
To make the crepes I use a pan with low edges specifically designed for crepes. It is easier to flip the crepes with a spatula.
To oil the pan I use OXO silicon blasting brush (amazon affiliate link) to keep the amount of oil to a minimum.
Oxo brush not only has a good grip, it is resistant to high heat and the brush is design to carry more juices.
If you want to know more about my favourite kitchen items you can read the article:
Savory Crepes Spring Roll Style
For the crepes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
For the filling
- 1/4 cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 lb cooked chicken or 500 gr of minced meat
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil for stir frying
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
Make the crepes
- MIx all the ingredients in a blender and let it rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Slightly oil the pan with a brush and heat it up to medium/high heat
- With a middle size, ladle pour over the pan just enough mix to cover the pan. Turn the pan to uniformly distribute the batter and pour some more to fill any gaps.
- Let it cook just for 1 minute until you see the edges separating from the pan
- Flip the crepe on the other side with a spatula and cook for just 1 minute
- Once ready pile the crepes on a plate, they will not get stuck to each other
- Before proceeding with the next crepe, oil the pan again with a brush
For the filling
- Shred the cabbage and the carrots
- Stirfry it with some vegetable oil and add the soy sauce and the rice vinegar for seasoning
- Add the chicken at the end. If you don’t have any chicken leftover stirfry some minced meat and then add the cabbage.
- Lay the filling in the middle of the crepe and fold the crepe first on the sides, then rolling it over
- Arrange the crepes on a baking dish
- Bake in the oven at 180 C for 20 minutes just before serving them