This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The typical pumpkins gnocchi are served with a butter and sage sauce, but as Thanksgiving is next week I would like to suggest a festive sauce made with brown butter, cinnamon and walnuts. Vegan and no sugar!
There is no egg and no ricotta in these gnocchi, so they are perfect for a vegan Thanksgiving dinner.
You can serve them as a side dish and they will be a perfect pairing with the turkey and the cranberry sauce.
If you never have done gnocchi before, don’t worry. You will find below a step by step video on how to make gnocchi.
The ingredients to make pumpkin gnocchi are:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/4 pumpkin
- all-purpose flour
- semolina flour
For the sauce:
I cut the gnocchi in large pieces as I put them back in the oven before serving them.
They are crunchy on top but still chunky inside.
I find it very useful to use the KitchenAid vegetables strainer.
It separates the skin directly so I don’t have to peel them.
It is perfect when you make gnocchi, they are mashed in a flash and you don t have to burn your hands to peel hot potatoes.
Pumpkin Gnocchi With Cinnamon And Brown Butter
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 cup fresh pumpkin cut in cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated walnuts
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 1 tbsp salt (for boiling gnocchi)
Make the gnocchi dough
- Put the pumpkin cut in cubes over parchment paper on a baking tin
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 C – 400 F for 45 minutes. Make sure it is well cooked and dry otherwise you will have to add to much flour to reach the right consistency
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes
- Still warm peel the potatoes and the pumpkin and strain them. Let them cool down
- I use the KitchenAid strainer so I don’t have to peel them
Making brown butter
- Warm the butter in a small pan
- With a ladle remove the white particles
- Once the butter is clear, let it toast on the heat until it slightly brown
Making the gnocchi
- Add the flours and 1 tsp of salt and mix. Add more flour if needed
- Taking a small piece of dough at the time, make a thick roll and cut the gnocchi
- Boil them in salted water. When they start to float take them out with a ladle.
- Lay them on a baking tray
- Sprinkle with grated wild nuts and bake in a hot oven (180C – 350F) 10 minutes before serving it