This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Red Pesto Pasta Sauce made with fresh tomatoes is the original Sicilian recipe. It is a great alternative to Green Pesto for lower calories and fresh summer taste. Some red pesto uses sun-dried tomatoes, but the original Sicilian recipe uses fresh ones. It is quickly done in a blender, no peeling, no cooking.
While the basil pesto is called Genovese as it is originally from Genova Liguria region, red pesto is originally from Sicily therefore called Sicilian Pesto or Pesto Trapanese.
It has a fresh tomatoes taste and a creamy consistency from the emulsified extra virgin olive oil and the Parmigiano Reggiano.
This recipe is included in the challenge: 7 Vegetarian Side-dishes for a Stress-free Party
When to serve red pesto pasta
- Because it can be served cold, it is perfect to serve at a dinner party or to have on a buffet table.
- It is a great side dish for a summer barbecue.
- You can make the pesto the day before and store it in the fridge and it keeps it for 3 days.
For pasta, you can use trofie, linguini or fusilli like I do here.
Best tomatoes to use to make red pesto
- The best tomatoes to use are the fresh long one (Roma or San Marzano type), the same used to make tomato sauce.
- Do not use canned tomatoes
- You don’t need to cook nor to peel the tomatoes
My boys love it and could have it every day.
To mix my ingredients I use a Braun MultiQuick 3 Hand
It is small, compact, quick & easy to use compared to the bigger blenders.
The components can be washed in the dishwasher and you can prepare several ingredients at the same time (there are several cups included). (affiliate link).
You Can find more of my favorite kitchen utensils here
Red Pesto Pasta Sauce
- 6 long tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil Use leaves only
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese fresh
- 1 cup olive oil extra vergin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic optional
- Remove the top of the tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters
- Add all ingredients into the mixer
- Blend until it becomes creamy
- Best served with Trofie pasta, fusilli or Linguini