This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Apple Cupcakes Recipe is simply made with plenty of apples to fully enjoy their taste: 1 kilos (2 pounds) of apples and no other spices added. The juices from the apples make each cupcake moist and soft.
Most of the apple cakes recipes use cinnamon and just enough apples to barely taste them.
This recipe is purely an apple celebration, an easy way to enjoy cooked apples on a picnic or for lunch at the office. The original recipe is an old Italian apple cake from the ’50s.
It was my mom’s favorite recipe when growing up. Back then, fruits and vegetables were locally grown under the Mediterranean sun, they were sweet and full of flavors. The Mediterranean cuisine was a celebration of those natural ingredients.
My mom has framed the page of the agenda where my grandmother found the recipe. Next to the recipe my grandmother handwriting “Buona”. For each day the agenda had different menu ideas and one recipe.
Would you like to know what was on the menu that day?
Country style risotto: probably with garden vegetables
Tongue and ham in jelly: that wouldn’t be my favourite
Tagliatelle soup: interesting
Boiled beef and calf head: calf head is actually the calf cheeks, which you can still buy today (if you want to buy them!?!)
For dessert the Apple cake
I have very vague memories of my grandmother Gilda Bosurgi Zerbi.
Born in 1893, she was already quite old when I was little. She had 8 children and my mom was among the youngest ones. I remember her sitting in an armchair joking with us children. She had a great sense of humor and very knowledgeable about cooking and quality of ingredients.
I still use her definition of a bad olive oil:
“An oil made with buttons and umbrella handles!”
Which back then were made out of bones.
For this recipe, I like to use Golden Reinette apples which are sweet and crunchy. You can also use Golden or your favorite local apples.
Remember that this cupcake is all about the flavor of the apples, so choose a tasty variety.
If you are making this Simply Apple Cupcake, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
Simply Apple Cupcakes Recipe
- If you are making the cupcakes cut the apples into small chunks
- If you are making the cake cut the apples into large chunks
- Prepare the cake mix, first whisking the butter at room temperature with the sugar, then adding the eggs and finally the flour mixed with the baking powder. The mix should be soft and creamy
- Melt the 50 gr of sugar and 50 gr of butter in the microwave for the topping
- Pour 1 tbsp of the mix in each cupcake, top it with the apples and add a tsp of melted sugar and butter.
- Bake at 180 C for 30 minutes
- Cover the bottom of a round baking tin with parchment paper, butter and coat with flour
- Pour the cake mix into the baking tin and spread evenly
- Cover with the apples, pushing the apples down into the mix
- Pour over the butter and sugar mix
- Bake in the oven at 180 C for 1 hour