This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
As soon as Spring starts, grab a basket and venture into the forest, wild asparagus are shooting up among the dead leaves. Small and with a slightly bitter taste, there are so many ways you can use these unique early Spring vegetables.
You can find wild asparagus in the forests of the Cote d’Azur, among patches of grass, where it is humid but sunny.
Their flavour perfectly combines with egg and Parmesan, so I used them to top little flans that enhance and complement their flavour.
Since wild asparagus are slightly bitter, I added some carrots to contrast with some sweetness.
There are many other ways you can serve wild asparagus.
- Use them in frittata or risotto.
- Season with extra virgin olive oil and serve with any matured cheese and/or bacon.
- Or simply mix them in a salad.
To prepare the wild asparagus, wash them and cut them into 10 cm / 4 in.
Put them vertically in a glass with 1 cm ( 1/2 in) of water and steam them covered in the microwave for 3 minutes.
They are ready to use as you wish.
I used them to top those carrot mini flans, the flavours combine perfectly and it does not matter the quantity of asparagus you fetch.
I filled them with fresh tomatoes, but you can use your imagination and add any other type of fillings.
You can serve them as starters with a salad, display on a buffet table or bring them on a picnic.
If you don’t have those mini bundt pans you can find my Amazon affiliate link next.
You can also use any other cupcakes moulds or muffins pan.
This recipe is part of a Youtube Series: Spring Starters. In the video you will see: where I find the wild asparagus and how I make those delicious mini flans:
Spring Starter With Wild Asparagus
- wild asparagus any amount you fetch
- 3/4 cup butter 5 oz (at room temperature)
- 4 eggs
- 3 boiled carrots
- 1 cup flour
- 1 package baking powder
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs for coating
- olive oil for coating
Pre-steam the asparagus
- Wash the asparagus and cut 10 cm length
- Put them vertically in a glass with 1 cm ( 1/2 in) of water
- Steam them covered in the microwave for 3 minutes.
Prepare the moulds
- Coat the moulds with oil and crumbs
- Lay the asparagus in the bottom of the moulds
Make the batter
- Mix the butter until it is creamy
- Add 4 eggs and mix
- Add the boiled carrots and mix
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and mix all together
- Last, add the cheese and a tsp of salt
- Pour the mix into the moulds
- Bake for 30 minutes in a hot oven at 180 C – 350 F
- Let them rest for 5 minutes then turn them upside down and fill the holes with fresh tomatoes or any other fillings you like
- Serve warm or at room temperature.