This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This zucchini mushroom quiche is full of healthy vegetables, cheese and ham.
It can be served by itself or with a fresh salad to contrast its earthy flavour during the hot summer months.
Here I use zucchini trombetta from Albenga, you can use normal zucchini, it is a great savoury meal.
Zucchini and Mushroom Quiche
For the short crust pastry
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 3 zucchini
- 1 leek
- 1 red Onion
- 14 oz mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bacon cubes or shredded ham
- 1 cup shredded emmental
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the short crust pastry mixing all the ingredients and let it rest in the fridge covered with cling foil.
- Wash and cut the onion, leeks and zucchini into thin slices
- Stir fry the onion and the leeks at medium heat with the butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the onion becomes translucent add the ham, the zucchini and stir fry until they begin to brown. Add salt.
- Add the mushrooms cut in quarters.
- And zucchini flowers if you have them.
- Cook until the mushrooms are slightly browning.
- Move the ingredients into a large container and let them cool down for at least 30 minutes. Adjust for salt.
- In the meantime, roll the short crust pastry and cover the base of a baking pan with parchment paper. Butter the base and the sides.
- Cover with the pastry and pierce it with a fork. This stops the pastry from rising while cooking. Put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Returning back to the vegetable filing, discharge any excess liquid released by the mushrooms. Add the eggs, the emmental and mix.
- Pour the mix into the short pastry and fold over the edges.
- Cook in a hot oven at 180 C for 35 minutes. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
More zucchini recipes: [pt_view id=”bcd0d2c606″]