This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Since I don’t own a barrel, and my tomatoes grinder is small, I make canned tomatoes sauce in small quantity just as a winter “special supply” for the family.
It is worth the effort as its taste is simply delightful!
To grind my tomatoes I use the KitchenAid grinder, which you can find out more about on my Amazon review.
Canned tomatoes sauce in my kitchen
- 176 oz fresh long tomatoes
- 10 basil leaves
- Buy a 5 kilo crate of matured long tomatoes.
- Washed them thoroughly in cold water.
- Cut them in half removing the green and any damaged parts.
- Cover, and let it boil.
- until the tomatoes become soft
- Drain the water and then grind them through the grinder. The skins will be removed automatically. It can be messy !
- Prepare your jars which have been sterilised in the dishwasher (as for the peach jam)
- Fill them up and place a basil leaf inside each jar.
- Place them back in the pan and fill it up with water. Make sure they do not bang against each other while boiling.
- Let them boil for 1 hour
- Then let them cool down at room temperature before storing them in the pantry, ideally on a shelf which is in the dark.