This is an easy ratatouille recipe, quicker and healthier to make than a traditional one and you are not compromising in taste and creaminess.
A traditional ratatouille can be very labor intensive to make as all the vegetables should be fried separately to preserve their creamy taste.
With this method, all the vegetables are baked in the oven for 1.5 hours, and even if it takes a long time to cook, it doesn't require your full attention.
I make large quantities and store it in the fridge.
This baked ratatouille is even better if it rests for a day as all the flavors nicely combine overnight.
You can eat as much as you want, the amount of olive oil required is much lower than a traditional ratatouille, there is hardly any fat making it a healthier option.
I tried this recipe in two different ways:
- Using fresh tomatoes
- Using tomato sauce
Using Fresh tomatoes
The tomatoes are added from the beginning together with all the other vegetables.
The fresh tomatoes give the ratatouille a fresh and summery taste.
Due to its delicate taste, it can be combined with fish and seafood.
Here I serve it with Cod baked with onion and potatoes.
Using tomato sauce
The tomato sauce is added only in the last 30 minutes of cooking time once all the vegetables have caramelized.
The tomato sauce absorbs all the juices from the other vegetables creating a nice creamy sauce.
This ratatouille is rich and full of flavor, without being greasy.
Here I serve it with brown rice which makes a perfect contrast with its crunchy and nutty grains.
It is a great vegan recipe, so filling you will not miss the proteins.
If you are looking for more eggplant recipes, below you will find some more ideas.
Regular, round, small, long, white and tiger, a different way of cooking each shape.
As a matter of interest, I always cut my vegetables over a dedicated vegetable cutting board as it is more hygienic.
I use a Joseph Joseph Large Index Advance Chopping Board Setyou can find on Amazon (affiliate link)
Each board is colour coded and has a symbol indicating its use e.g. meat (red), fish (blue), vegetables (green), and cooked food (white).
Easy Ratatouille Recipe Baked
- 3 red peppers
- 4 zucchini
- 3 eggplants
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 leaves basil or 1 tbsp Provencal herbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh tomatoes or 1 can of tomato sauce
- Prepare all the ingredients, washed, peeled and cut into cubes
- Grease with olive oil a large baking tray
- Add all the vegetables, basil, garlic season and stir. If you are using tomato sauce instead of fresh tomatoes, leave it for later.
- Bake in the oven at 180 C - 350 F for 30 minutes
- Stir all the vegetables and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes
- Add the tomato sauce, stir and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes
- The ratatouille can be served immediately or the next day
Fat 8 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 25 gr per serving
Proteins 5 gr per serving
Sugar 16 gr per serving
Sodium 794 mg per serving