This baked cod with potatoes and onions is a classic Italian recipe, and it is very easy to make. Healthy and delicious at the same time, seasoned with only extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper, no butter. The cod cooks over a thin layer of potatoes and onions in the oven. While the cod remains soft and flaky, the potatoes form a nice crispy crust absorbing the flavor of the onions and the cod.
This recipe is so easy to make; it is perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner. It is the healthy version of fish and chips.
There is no butter or cream, only extra virgin olive oil.
The secret for this healthy baked cod recipe is the size of the thin layer of potatoes where the fish is laid.
The potatoes are cut very thinly, and they absorb the juices from the fish and steam cook with it.
Because the potatoes are thinly sliced, the olive oil crisps them up while baking.
While they remain soft and creamy in the center, they make a nice crunchy crust at the edges.
The onion adds to the flavor, and everything is cooked to perfection in just 20 minutes.
More healthy baked fish recipes
If you are looking for more ideas on baked fish recipes, I would suggest the Cod Scallops Salmon Fish Pie With Prawns. For something simple baked salmon, and something different sea bream baked in salt.
For seafood ideas for the Feast of Seven Fishes, check out this Web Story.
This is a very simple recipe with only 3 main ingredients:
- Cod filet: You can use fresh or frozen but make sure it is completely thawed out and drained if you are using a frozen filet. You can also use halibut, haddock, or salmon.
- Potatoes: use large old potatoes, the same you would use for french fries.
- Onions: use a regular onion or a sweeter red onion. Either one is fine.
- Seasoning with good quality extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Use a small baking tin about the same dimension as the cod or halibut filet, lightly grease it with olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and the onion and slice them very thin with a slicer
- Cover the base of the baking tin with a layer of potatoes and onion seasoned with salt and pepper
- Season the cod/halibut filet with salt and pepper on both sides and lay it on top of the potatoes
- Pour 1 more tablespoon of olive oil on top
- Cook in a hot oven for 20 minutes at 180 C - 350 F
To make sure the potatoes and the onions are thinly sliced, I would recommend using a vegetable slicer.
To have a nice crispy crust on the potatoes, you need to bake them into an aluminum baking dish, not a ceramic casserole. I suggest using a loaf bread baking pan for one cod filet or a rectangular pan if you are baking more than one filet.
Other fish you can use
You can use either cod, halibut, or haddock, chunky, flaky fish that can be baked in 20 minutes.
It is at its best made with fresh fish, but you can also use frozen fish. Although, make sure it is defrosted and drained from excess water. You don't want the potatoes to soak and boil in drained water, but crisp and form a nice crunchy crust.
- If you are using frozen fish, thaw it out completely and drain all the water
- For this recipe, you can use cod, halibut, haddock, or salmon
- Make sure the potatoes are thinly sliced, so they cook at the same time as the cod
- If you want to use more potatoes, bake them for 10 minutes before you lay the cod on top, then bake for 20 minutes with the cod
- If you wish, you can add olives or capers to give some extra flavor
- You can also add tomatoes or zucchini, but as they release water, the potatoes may not come out crunchy
Side dishes for baked cod
As you already have proteins and carbs in this recipe, you only need to add some vegetables to complete the meal.
As this baked cod is a light and healthy dinner, I like to serve it with a healthy baked ratatouille. Other healthy options are: grilled zucchini, eggplant and pepper salad or green beans marinated in garlic.
All of those side dishes can be prepared the day before, so it is a dinner very easy to make at last minute.
Whether you want to have a light and simple weeknight dinner or you have friends over, this dish is both healthy and fancy.
If you are making this healthy baked cod with potatoes and onions, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋Baked Cod with Potatoes And Onions
- Use a small baking tin about the same dimension as the cod filet, lightly grease with olive oil. For more portions use a large rectangular pan as listed above3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and the onion and slice them very thin with a slicer2 small potatoes, 1 onion
- Cover the base of the baking tin with a layer of potatoes and onion seasoning with salt and pepper1 teaspoon salt, black pepper
- Season the cod filet with salt and pepper on both sides and lay it on top of the potatoes1 filet fresh cod, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper
- Pour 1 more tablespoon of olive oil on top3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cook in a hot oven for 20 minutes at 180 C - 350 F
- Serve immediately
- The potatoes should be cut very thin
- If you use the amount of potatoes in the recipe they will cook in the same time as the fish. If you want more potatoes bake them 10 or 15 minutes before putting on the fish.
- This recipe is at its best made with fresh fish, but you can also use frozen fish. Although, make sure it is defrosted and drained from excess water. You don't want the potatoes to boil but to form a nice crunchy crust.