This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This homemade chicken nuggets recipe is a full of flavour and you don’t need any special side dish to complement them.
The basil, garlic, and parmesan in the breadcrumbs enrich the flavour of the nuggets perfectly.
They can be served with just a salad, and I can guarantee will satisfy everyone’s appetite.
They can be prepared and freeze uncooked if none of the ingredients was previously frozen.
- You can use frozen breadcrumbs described in the article:
Grated Parmesan and Breadcrumbs
They don’t need to be defrosted ahead of time.
- For additional storage and freezer recommendations follow the guidelines described in the article:
Once a Month Freezer Meal Prep
homemade chicken nuggets recipe
Breadcrumbs (can be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer)
- 4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 20 leaves fresh basil
- 2 clove garlic
- 4 half chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 3 fresh eggs
- salt & pepper
- Prepare or defrost the breadcrumbs (see article above)
- Cut the chicken breast into long strips and season with salt.
- Prepare 3 plates: one with the flour, one with the eggs mixed with salt and pepper, and one with the breadcrumbs
- One by one dip the chicken nuggets in the following order: First in the flour, making sure they are completely coated. Shake off any excess flour.
- Then dip them in the eggs…. …And lastly in the breadcrumbs.
- Once they are completely coated and ready, deep-fry them in oil until golden and crispy.
- The remaining breadcrumbs should not be put away as they have touched raw chicken and cannot be re-stored. I usually mix them with the remaining eggs and fry them up to limit wastage.
- Kids love them; in Italian they are called the “Vecchia”, meaning old lady. Probably because they were reserved for toothless old ladies who could not bite into chicken!