This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I usually make the pizza dough in the bread machine, but here is how to make pizza dough with out it.
The most important step is the activation of the yeast with lukewarm water.
Once the yeast is activated you will have your dough with no effort.
If you want to know more about the Bread Machine, click here.
Pizza dough without a bread machine
- 1 cup Fresh Water luckewarm (250)
- 3 cup Flour 450 gr (Type 55, All purpose, Plain, Type 0)
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Package of yeast I prefer Active dry
- To activate the yeast mix the Dry Active Yeast with ¼ cup of the water needed for the recipe. The water should be lukewarm. Add ½ tsp of sugar, and let it rest until it becomes foamy.
- In the meantime, strain the flour along with the sugar and the salt into a bowl, ensuring they are completely mixed. Make a ‘well’ in the centre of the flour mix.
- Combine all the wet ingredients together: water, olive oil and the frosty yeast. Slowly pour them in the ‘well’ of the flour and mix it with the wet ingredients gradually, using your fingers.
- Once they are thoroughly mixed, you can either continue mixing the flour with your hands, or put it into an electric mixer with a dough hook. Mix it until the dough becomes a ball that comes away easily from the side of the bowl.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on a flat surface. Shape it into a smooth ball and place it into an oiled bowl covered with a wet towel to rest. Let it rise for 1.5 hours.
- For cooking instruction follow the recipes: Italian Pizza Dough Recipe