Fried dough pizza recipe is a traditional dish originating from the Neapolitan street food after War world 2. This plate is simple to make and easy to present at parties as it can be warmed up just before serving.
This recipe was presented by Eliana de Matteis during her cooking class at the Mediathec Pole Culturel Auguste Escoffier, Villeneuve Loubet
You can prepare the dough in the bread machine or use the following directions:
Pour the ingredients into the machine and set the program for fresh dough, number 13 on the Kenwood bread machine.
NB: when using the bread machine the ingredients should be placed in the exact order as listed above, liquids first.
Here are more of my favourite kitchen tools.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
- 3 cup flour type 55 or Manitoba
- 1 cup water at room temperature
- 1 package bread Yeast
- 1.5 tsp salt
- .5 tsp caster sugar
- oil for deep fry
For the filling:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cup fresh mozzarella (sliced) (fior di latte o bufala)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 10 basil leaves
Making the dough
- To activate the yeast, mix it with water. The water should be lukewarm or at room temperature. Add ½ tsp of sugar, and let it rest until it becomes foamy.
- In the meantime, strain the flour along with the sugar and the salt into a bowl, ensuring they are completely mixed. Make a ‘well’ in the centre of the flour mix.
- Slowly pour the yeast and water mixture in the ‘well’ of the flour and mix it with the wet ingredients gradually, using your fingers.
- Once they are thoroughly mixed continue mixing the flour with your hands until the dough becomes a ball that comes away easily from the side of the bowl.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on a flat surface. Shape it into a smooth ball and place it into an oiled bowl covered with a wet towel to rest. Let it rise for 6 to 8 hours.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls. They should be around 60 gr each and let them rest for 30 minutes
Preparing the tomato sauce
- Stir fry the garlic clove with 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add the tomato sauce and 2 leaves of basil, letting it simmer until it thickens
Frying the pizza
- Flatten the balls into circles, with the centre thinner than the sides and deep fry them in hot oil (about 180 C)
- Cook the pizzas for 2 minutes on each side, until the crust is golden .
- Remove from the frying oil and place it on a paper kitchen towel to absorb the oil.
- Put a spoon of tomato sauce over each pizza, a slice of mozzarella, a basil leave and sprinkle with parmesan
Calories 364 calories per serving
Fat 4 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 43 gr per serving
Proteins 5 gr per serving
Sugar 1 gr per serving
Sodium 427 mg per serving Nutrition facts for the fillings:
Calories 98 calories per serving
Fat 7 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 3 gr per serving
Proteins 8 gr per serving
Sugar 1 gr per serving
Sodium 237 mg per serving