Meatballs with Vegetables and Couscous is a balanced meal so tasty even the children will enjoy the vegetables.
The broth and the vegetables moisten the meatballs creating a perfect balance of texture, flavour and juices.
- You can use frozen breadcrumbs described in the article:
Grated Parmesan and Breadcrumbs.
They don’t need to be defrosted ahead of time.
- You can use frozen brown stock described in the article:
It can be defrosted in the Microwave just before use.
- For additional storage and freezer recommendations follow the guidelines described in the article:
Once a Month Freezer Meal Prep
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
Meatballs with Vegetables and Couscous
Breadcrumbs (can be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer)
- 90 gr breadcrumbs
- 10 gr parmesan cheese grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 500 gr freshly minced lean beef
- 2 fresh eggs
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tps worcestershire sauce
- 1 tps english mustard
- oil for frying
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion diced
- 500 lt bown stock (or 500 lt of boiling water and 1 beef cube stock)
- To prepare the breadcrumbs see article above: Grated Parmesan and Breadcrumbs
- Mix the breadcrumbs with all the ingredients for the meatballs mix
- Wet the palm of your hand with warm water. It will help you make smoother meatballs.
- Roll the meatballs and fry them in hot oil.
- Pour 1 cup of couscous into a large bowl and season it well with the olive oil.
- Dissolve the chicken stock cube completely in 1 cup of boiling water
- Add the stock to the couscous
- Stirring with a fork every once in a while to make sure the grains do not clump. Let it rest for 15 minutes
- Wash and cut the vegetables into large chunks
- Put them in a pan with the brown stock and bring to a boil
- Boil for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked
- Add salt and pepper if needed
- Serve the meatballs on top of the vegetables and couscous
Calories 583 (343) calories per serving Fat 24 gr per serving Carbohydrates 17 gr per serving Proteins 35 gr per serving Sugar 4 gr per serving Sodium 1421 mg per serving *Assuming 70% increase in calories for fried food Couscous:
Calories 109 calories per serving Fat 7 gr per serving Carbohydrates 10 gr per serving Proteins 2 gr per serving Sugar 0 gr per serving Sodium 403 mg per serving Vegetables:
Calories 128 calories per serving Fat 1 gr per serving Carbohydrates 26 gr per serving Proteins 10 gr per serving Sugar 8 gr per serving Sodium 310 mg per serving