Tarte Tatin is a typical French recipe usually made with apples.
Though I love this version with peaches and since the season is almost over, I make it quite often this time of the year.
The peaches add a nice summer freshness to the caramel and the smooth pulp a delightful contrast to the crunchy crust.
For instructions on recipes template see post: Food Madness: Digital & Apps
For measurement conversions see post: How much is a Cup in grams and the most useful cooking conversions
- 50 gr butter
- 100 gr castor sugar
- 3 matured peaches or apples for the original version
- 30 gr peeled pistachios
- 1/3 cup calvados or cognac
- 100 gr good quality butter at room temperature
- 200 gr flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt
- Peel the 3 peaches and cut them in half to remove the kernels, while trying to make some nice round shapes!
- Prepare the short pastry by combining all the ingredients, wrap it in cling foil and put it in the fridge.
- Pour the butter and sugar into a round metal baking tin and heat up on the stove to make the caramel
- As soon as the caramel starts turning yellow
- add the pistachios and the peaches with the round side facing down. Let it simmer for 5 minutes at a very low heat.
- In the meantime roll the short pastry in a round shape, the same size as the baking tin.
- Add the calvados to the peaches and let it evaporate for another 5 minutes.
- Cover the peaches with the short pastry, ensure the edges are inside the tin covering the peaches and touching the caramel. Don’t try to fold them nicely, you will risk to burn yourself. Make some holes with the tip of a knife, this way the steam will come out while cooking.
- Bake in a hot oven at 180 C for 35 minutes.
- Once it is ready, take it out of the oven and turn it upside down immediately on a serving dish.
- Make sure all the caramel at the bottom of the tin is poured over the tart before it cools down, otherwise it will sticks to the tin.
- Serve cold with a good quality vanilla ice cream.
Calories 307 calories per serving
Fat 18 gr per serving
Carbohydrates 33 gr per serving
Proteins 4 gr per serving
Sugar 13 gr per serving
Sodium 159 mg per serving