This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A simple recipe to make roasted peppers at home
Big, scarlet red shaded with green and purple, absolutely beautiful, this is what I call Mediterranean peppers.
The best way to use them is to roast them at high temperature or under the grill. You should aim at burning the skin off, and leaving the flesh almost uncooked, that is why the heat should be intense. Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned.
They will remain firm, sweet and luscious, and the skin which is difficult to digest will come off very easily.
Here is the recipe for Roasted Peppers marinated with garlic, basil and olive oil, fantastic with Barbeque Beef.
This recipe can be made 1 day in advance and should be served at room temperature.
Perfect to prepare for buffets and dinner parties.
This recipe is included in the challenge: 7 Vegetarian Side-dishes for a Stress-free Party
Roasted Peppers with Garlic and Basil
- 4 large red peppers
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 dash salt
- Wash and put the peppers in an oven pan on top of an aluminum foil or a baking sheet
- Turn the grill on in the oven and set the pan at the highest level making sure the peppers don’t touch the elements of the grill. Leave the door open and let the grill burn the skin of the peppers as in the picture below.
- Turn the peppers around until all the skin is burned. Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned. But don't cook them too long as the flesh should remain firm.
- Let the peppers cool down completely. Once cold, take the skin off. It will peel easily
- Remove seeds and cut in slices
- Add garlic, basil, salt and olive oil
- Mix and let it rest for at least 1 hour before serving