Making Italian roasted peppers in your home oven is very easy. They are much better than canned roasted peppers because they do not need vinegar to be preserved. You can taste the sweetness of their flesh which remains firm and chunky and the skin is easily removed. I seasoned them with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and basil, and serve them as appetizers on bruschetta or as side dishes to meat or cheese. They are also suitable for a vegan or vegetarian meal.
Why high temperature
The best way to cook red peppers in your kitchen oven is to roast them at high temperatures or under the grill.
The raw skin of the peppers is very hard to break down during digestion, which is why it is best to remove it from the flesh.
You should aim at burning the skin off while roasting, leaving the flesh almost uncooked. That is why the heat of the oven should be intense.
Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned.
The peppers will remain firm, sweet, and luscious, while the skin will come off very easily.
How to buy Italian red peppers
In the Roman markets during the Summer, you find these large scarlet red peppers shaded with green and purple stripes, absolutely beautiful. They start to appear in June and will last for the summer.
The variation of colors is such a beautiful feature, they create a rainbow on your dinner table.
When you buy them check carefully each pepper to make sure they are nice and firm everywhere with no damage to the flesh.
For this recipe, you can also use bell peppers and green or yellow peppers.
How to roast them
- Rince the peppers and place them in a very hot oven or under the grill. You can cover the pan with aluminum foil but there is no need to grease it.
- Once the skin on the top of the pepper is burned, turn them around and put them back in the oven
- Do that until all sides of the peppers are burned
- Place the hot peppers in a paper bag and keep them closed until they cool down. Their steam will help to separate the skin from the flesh
- Once cold you can easily remove the skin from the peppers
- Remove the seeds and place the slices of the pepper in a bowl
- Season with salt, extra virgin olive oil, and basil
How to serve them
These Italian roasted peppers are perfect to prepare for buffets and dinner parties.
They can be made one day in advance and served at room temperature.
This recipe is also included in the challenge: 7 Vegetarian Side-dishes for a Stress-free Party
If you are making this Italian roasted peppers recipe or you have more ideas you would like to share, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋 Italian Roasted Peppers
- Rince the peppers and put them in an oven pan on top of an aluminum foil or a baking sheet. You don't need to oil it4 red peppers
- Turn the grill on in the oven and set the pan at the highest level making sure the peppers don’t touch the elements of the grill. Leave the door open and let the grill burn the skin of the peppers as in the picture below.
- Turn the peppers around until all the skin is burned. Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned. But don't cook them too long as the flesh should remain firm.
- Place the peppers in a paper bag and close it
- Let the peppers cool down completely. Once cold, take the skin off. It will peel easily
- Remove seeds and cut in slices
- Add garlic, basil, salt and olive oil4 cloves peeled garlic cloves, 10 fresh basil leaves, 4 teaspoon olive oil, 1 dash salt
- Mix and let it rest for at least 1 hour before serving
- When you buy them check carefully each pepper to make sure they are nice and firm everywhere with no damage to the flesh.
- You should aim at burning the skin off, and leaving the flesh almost uncooked, that is why the heat should be intense.
- Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned.
- The inside of the peppers will be very hot, do not clean them until they are cold