This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A simple recipe to make Italian roasted peppers at home and easily remove the skin while the flesh remains firm and chunky. Seasoned with garlic, extra virgin olive, and basil, it is the perfect summer side dish.
How to choose them
Big, scarlet red shaded with green and purple, absolutely beautiful, this is what I call Mediterranean peppers. They start to appear at the farmer markets in June and will last for the summer.
The variation of colors is such a beautiful feature, you will have a rainbow on your dinner table.
When you buy them check carefully each pepper to make sure they are nice and firm everywhere with no damage to the flesh.
Firm flesh, no skin
The best way to cook them is to roast them at high temperature or under the grill.
You should aim at burning the skin off, and leaving the flesh almost uncooked, that is why the heat should be intense.
Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned.
They will remain firm, sweet and luscious, and the skin which is difficult to digest will come off very easily.
How to roast them
- Place the peppers in a very hot oven or under the grill
- Once the skin on the top of the pepper is burned, turn them around and put them back in the oven
- Do that until all sides of the pepper are burned
- Place the hot peppers in a paper bag and keep them closed until they cool down. Their steam will help to separate the skin from the flesh
- Once cold you can easily remove the skin from the peppers
- Remove the seeds and place the slices of the pepper in a bowl
- Season with salt, extra virgin olive oil, and basil
How to serve them
This Italian roasted peppers recipe is perfect to prepare for buffets and dinner parties. It can be made one day in advance and it is served at room temperature.
This recipe is also included in the challenge: 7 Vegetarian Side-dishes for a Stress-free Party
If you are making this Italian roasted peppers recipe or you have more ideas you would like to share, leave your comment below I would like to hear from you. You can find more delicious ideas if you FOLLOW ME on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram or sign up to my newsletter.
📋 Roasted Peppers with Garlic and Basil
- Wash and put the peppers in an oven pan on top of an aluminum foil or a baking sheet4 red peppers
- Turn the grill on in the oven and set the pan at the highest level making sure the peppers don’t touch the elements of the grill. Leave the door open and let the grill burn the skin of the peppers as in the picture below.
- Turn the peppers around until all the skin is burned. Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned. But don't cook them too long as the flesh should remain firm.
- Place the peppers in a paper bag and close it
- Let the peppers cool down completely. Once cold, take the skin off. It will peel easily
- Remove seeds and cut in slices
- Add garlic, basil, salt and olive oil4 cloves peeled garlic cloves, 10 fresh basil leaves, 4 tsp olive oil, 1 dash salt
- Mix and let it rest for at least 1 hour before serving
- When you buy them check carefully each pepper to make sure they are nice and firm everywhere with no damage to the flesh.
- You should aim at burning the skin off, and leaving the flesh almost uncooked, that is why the heat should be intense.
- Make sure the skin is burned everywhere as it is hard to peel it off if it is not burned.
- The inside of the peppers will be very hot, do not clean them until they are cold