This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Swiss roll sponge recipe is a cake made with whisked eggs. It has a light texture, and it is used as the base for layered cakes or filled rolls.
It requires a little bit of work, but its softness perfectly combines with a cream filling.
Here I am using the buttercream version from the Almond Meringue served with Butter Sauce and Berries recipe, and decorated the roll with homemade crystallized violets and pistachios.
You can also use a chocolate ganache or a thick custard cream.
Swiss Roll Sponge Recipe
Swiss rolls sponge
- 4 fresh eggs
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 egg yolk
- 3/4 ml liquid cream
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- Cover a shallow rectangular tin with parchment paper of about 22 x 33 cm. Warm up the oven at 200 C
- Place a large bowl or pan over hot water and whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. Make sure the water never boils
- It will start forming a thick mixture.
- Whisk vigorously until you can form a ribbon trail on the surface.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until it cools down, for about 5 minutes
- Gently stir in the flour making sure the mixture does not deflate
- Pour the mixture onto the slightly buttered parchment paper and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, checking without opening the oven that the top is nicely browned
- Once cooked, let it rest for 10 minutes then move to a rack to cool down completely. In the meantime you can prepare the cream for the filling.
- In a pan, pour and combine all the ingredients for the cream except the butter.
- Cook in bain-marie until the cream reach the consistency of a custard cream.
- Take away from the heat and add the butter. Mix until the butter is all melted and the cream has taken a yellowish colour.
Put it together
- Prepare all the ingredients you want to use for composing and decorating the roll. Here I have grated pistachios and homemade crystallized violets
- Turn the sponge upside down and spread the cream over the sponge
- With the help of the parchment paper start rolling the sponge over
- Move the roll into the serving dish
- Cover with the rest of the cream and sprinkle with the grated pistachios
- Decorate with the crystallize violets and clean the side of the dish
- The cake is now ready to be served. If the ambient temperature is too hot you can store it in the fridge and take it out 30 minutes before serving.Enjoy!