This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Swiss roll sponge recipe is a cake made with whisked eggs. It has a light texture, and it is used as the base for layered cakes or filled rolls.
It requires a little bit of work, but its softness perfectly combines with a cream filling.
Here I am using the buttercream version from the Almond Meringue served with Butter Sauce and Berries recipe, and decorated the roll with homemade crystallized violets and pistachios.
You can also use a chocolate ganache or a thick custard cream.
Swiss Roll Sponge Recipe
Swiss rolls sponge
- Cover a shallow rectangular tin with parchment paper of about 22 x 33 cm. Warm up the oven at 200 C
- Place a large bowl or pan over hot water and whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer. Make sure the water never boils
- It will start forming a thick mixture.
- Whisk vigorously until you can form a ribbon trail on the surface.
- Remove from the heat and whisk until it cools down, for about 5 minutes
- Gently stir in the flour making sure the mixture does not deflate
- Pour the mixture onto the slightly buttered parchment paper and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, checking without opening the oven that the top is nicely browned
- Once cooked, let it rest for 10 minutes then move to a rack to cool down completely. In the meantime you can prepare the cream for the filling.
- In a pan, pour and combine all the ingredients for the cream except the butter.
- Cook in bain-marie until the cream reach the consistency of a custard cream.
- Take away from the heat and add the butter. Mix until the butter is all melted and the cream has taken a yellowish colour.
Put it together
- Prepare all the ingredients you want to use for composing and decorating the roll. Here I have grated pistachios and homemade crystallized violets
- Turn the sponge upside down and spread the cream over the sponge
- With the help of the parchment paper start rolling the sponge over
- Move the roll into the serving dish
- Cover with the rest of the cream and sprinkle with the grated pistachios
- Decorate with the crystallize violets and clean the side of the dish
- The cake is now ready to be served. If the ambient temperature is too hot you can store it in the fridge and take it out 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!