This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I use this recipe with spicy merguez sausages when I want to use the vegetables I have in the pantry.
The merguez blends all the vegetable flavours, so any vegetable will do as long as you have either some potato or beans to add creaminess to the soup.
Merguez is a lamb sausage from North Africa flavoured with chilly, harissa and cumin, it is widely used in Europe especially in France.
It has a nice spicy flavour, so even bland vegetables will make a fantastic soup.
If you want a vegetarian version use a vegetable broth and replace the merguez with harissa.
‘Whatever-Vegetables’ soup with spicy merguez sausages
- Any vegetables you have here I use romanesco potatoes and leeks, plus
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 peeled garlic cloves
- 4 cup homemade stock (either beef or vegetables or cube stock)
- 11 oz merguez sausages
- black pepper
- 11 oz pasta Garofalo fusillone optional
- In this recipe I am using: Romanesco, leeks and potatoes.
- In a pressure pan or a soup pot stir fry the merguez cut into small bites until they are brown
- Remove the merguez, if there is too much liquid, drain some but leave some fat from the sausage to stir fry the vegetables. Add the onion, carrot and celery and stir fry.
- Add the remaining vegetables cut into pieces and the stock. Cook with a pressure pan for 10 minutes, with a normal pan for 30 minutes.In the meantime finish cooking the merguez in the oven for 15 minutes.
- With a blender puree the vegetables until smooth.
- You can either serve it as it is
- or add some cooked pasta, I use Pasta Garofalo fusillone
- Add the cooked merguez and serve!