This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Stuffed Peppers, tomatoes or courgettes are called in French Petit Farcis. It is a typical dish from Nice and Provence: Mediterranean vegetables stuffed and cooked in the oven.
In this recipe, I stuff them with a mix of pork and beef, the most common way to make them.
If you want to use them as a starter or side dish you can fill them just with breadcrumbs flavored with cheese and local herbs, thyme, basil or parsley.
However, if you are using only bread for stuffing, the center can be very dry.
Make sure you use small vegetables and add a softer cheese like mozzarella or feta.
Once you empty the vegetables, you are left with the inside pulp and the tops.
Because I don’t like to waste any food, I remove the seeds, finely chop them and mix it with the filling.
They add flavor and juice to the stuffing.
As a matter of interest, I always cut my vegetables over a dedicated vegetable cutting board as it is more hygienic.
I use an Index Chopping Board Set you can find on Amazon (affiliate link)
Each board is colour coded and has a symbol indicating its use e.g. meat (red), fish (blue), vegetables (green), and cooked food (white).
Here are more of my favourite kitchen tools
The Petit Farcis recipe is featured in episode 4 of the video series:
Find all the videos location and their links in the map.
Each Sunday I will publish a video featuring a place to visit, a restaurant and a recipe.
Next week we are staying local, so don’t miss it.
Sign up to my YouTube Channel: Your Guardian Chef YouTube
You can watch Nice Market and the Petit Farcis video here below:
Petit Farcis Stuffed Peppers
For the filling
- 10 oz mincemeat
- 10 oz sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- 3 oz stale bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 8 red peppers or
- large tomatoes optional
- round courgettes optional
- large onions optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Soften the stale bread with milk and let it rest for 30 minutes if the bread is hard
- Add the mincemeat, the sausages without the skin and the salt
- Add salt, the onion, parsley, lemon zest and cheese
Preparing the vegetables
- Cut the top of the tomatoes
- Empty the inside of the tomatoes and add it to the meat. This is optional. If you prefer, remove the seeds and add only the juices
- Cut the top of the round courgettes
- Remove the seeds, chop the rest and add to the meat
- Top the peppers and remove the seeds
- Chop the tops of the peppers and add to the mix
- Oil a baking dish
- Arrange the vegetables and add salt
- Stuff with the mix
- Cook in a hot oven at 180 C – 350 F for 40 minutes