This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Crostata is a sweet simple pastry, sold in most bakeries and patisseries in Italy as well as in France.
It is very easy to make at home and does not require any planning. As long as you have the ingredients to make a short crust pastry and some jam, it can be made at the last minute and will last for the week.
Here, I am making it with my homemade caramelized peach jam.
Crostata with Homemade Peach Jam
- 7 oz good quality butter at room temperature
- 3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 jar peach jam See my homemade
- Make the short crust dough and store it in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Cut it in two parts: 2/3 of which you will need for the base and 1/3 of which you will need for the top
- Roll the 2/3 dough in a big square sheet large enough to cover an oven baking tray. Make holes with a fork to avoid the pastry to rise while cooking. If it becomes too soft put it back in the fridge.
- Divide the remaining 1/3 of the dough into 2 parts and roll some strips in equal number. Once rolled, flat them down and put them back in the fridge.
- Spread the jam over the dough on the baking tray.
- Cover the crostata crossing the strips on both sides.
- Bake in hot oven at 180 C for 35 minutes
- Let it cool down, then cut the crostata in squares.
- You can serve them as biscuits or as a pie with a spoon of ice cream. It will keep for the week, if there is any left!
- If you are looking for a project to do with your childern, have them to decorate the top