This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A creamy and nutty chocolate sponge cake with almost no flour.
There is no raising agent in this cake, its softness is made by the whipped egg white which is added to the mix.
It has the dark chocolate taste with the soft texture of the meringue, mixed with crunchy walnuts.
The chocolate icing and the raspberry complete the complex taste of this delicious cake.
Walnut Dark Chocolate Cake with Raspberry
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 1/2 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tsp dry instant coffee
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 egg separated
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp flour
- 7 oz cream
- 7 oz chocolate dark or milk: milk chocolate will make a softer frosting
- 1/2 cup raspberry
- Grease and flour 2 baking tins of 20 cm in diameter. Here I use heart shaped one for St Valentine’s.
- Melt the chocolate, coffee, water and sugar in the microwave for 1.5 minutes.
- Mix, and let it cool.
- Separate the egg yolks from the white.
- Mix the walnuts with 2 tbsp of flour.
- Whip the butter with an electric mix until it becomes creamy. Add the egg yolk to the butter and mix
- Add the chocolate mix to the butter and eggs,
- and the grated walnuts.
- Whip the egg white.
- Gently add it to the mix, one spoon at a time.
- ….until it is all combined.
- Pour the mix into the buttered tin, and cook in a hot oven at 180C for 35 minutes.
- Gently warm 200 gr of cream but make sure it does not boil. Take off of the heat and add the 200 gr of chocolate. Mix until it melts.
- Let it cool completely.
- Once the cakes are ready let them cool at room temperature before proceeding.
- Place the mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. You will obtain better results if it is ice cold when you whip the cream. Whip the chocolate cream.
- You are now ready to compose the cake. Spread some cream on top of the first cake. Position the second cake on top.
- Cover completely with the remaining cream and decorate with walnuts and raspberries.
- Keep in the fridge until it is time to serve.